1946 Delta 17" drill press repulsion-induction motor bearings

here's one way of doing it. have you seen the Rockwell production bench models with the chain thru the column that raises and lowers the head?

walker turner hand crank.jpg

as to the south bend, haven't even looked at it yet but I suspect it has regular bearings. the coolest thing they had was the speed lever for slacking the belts to change speeds. and the light built into the head. I got that one for 100.00. there's a bench model SB for sale here for 60.00 but it's a 3 hour drive. still thinking about it. would be a fun restore (it's a mess), and they bring the most money.

here is the chain hoist model. says there's a counterbalance inside. rockwell drill press with chain hoist.jpg2.jpgguy has a pair of these for sale here for 175.00 each. would go lower, I'm sure. look interesting.

rockwell drill press with chain hoist.jpg

I was curious about the spindle speeds after I installed the center pulley, so I picked up this beautiful old Swiss made RPM and FPM counter. I only checked the 4 lowest speeds by moving the front belt only. got 152, 228, 318 and 442 RPM.

Yeah, that looks cool! Might be a spring inside or just a sash weight.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back