Youtube

I like the hot chicks on the Grammarly adds...

What are you watching!? All I get are ads for BH Photo, Highpoint Scientific, Precision Matthews...

That was a joke but I do get a ton of Grammarly ads. I have my ad choices turned off for personalized ads.

Well thats it. I can no longer watch youtube videos unless I pay for premium (way to expensive) or allow the phenomenal number of brainless ads to play with.
If there weren't so many adds inserted into the vids I wouldn't mind but the huge number per video is beyond the pale.
I now award youtube the order of the extended middle digit.
We dumped Netflix for Youtube..... Youtube is cheaper and I find their content more useful...

What ads?
Be BRAVE my young friends. Be BRAVE.
Hell no! Brave is less protective than a well-configure Firefox (it's a medium-well configured Firefox) but was also a PITA to get rid of on my (Linux) machine. More trouble than it's worth. Get Firefox. Install DuckDuckGo, Privacy Badger, and uBlock Origin (not to be confused with all the "uBlock" copycats...). Learn how containers work, and install FF containers. Not perfect, but better than Brave...

GsT

Totally agree. Kinda boggles my mind how people want valuable content for nothing.

You mean, like a library?

And yet, you post your free advise.

I think the people that post their videos on YouTube are paid based on viewers. The internet was based on sharing knowledge freely in the beginning. It is the thirst to make a quick buck that we have monster we have today.

You mean, like a library?

And yet, you post your free advise.

I think the people that post their videos on YouTube are paid based on viewers. The internet was based on sharing knowledge freely in the beginning. It is the thirst to make a quick buck that we have monster we have today.
A library is not free - you pay for it with your tax dollars. I just checked my tax bill for my modest home in Portland Oregon, and see that for this year, I'm paying $224.26 to the county specifically for the libraries in my area. On a monthly basis, that is more costly than YouTube premium.

Google spent $9.5 billion on data centers in 2022 and is expected to spend 10 percent more in 2023. Those costs have to be covered by some form of revenue stream.

I run a YouTube channel myself, as do several of my friends. We all have slightly different motives for creating and posting content.

Some are in it to make money in addition to whatever personal gratification they get for being famous or giving back. Abom79 would be a good example in this machinist realm. Adam has a massive library of content, built over a decade, and derives a low to mid six-figure income from his share of the ad and premium subscription revenue Google collects. Others in this league are Clough42, Joe Pie, Keith Rucker, Keith Fenner, etc. To be able to monetize your content on YouTube, you have to meet certain thresholds in subscription count, viewership times, and be posting additional content on a regular basis that gets watched. The thresholds are pretty high, and you are definitely on a treadmill to produce content every week to stay in the game.

Others of us create YouTube content for the joy of sharing our knowledge and helping others as a means of personal gratification and giving back to the community. Many of us elect not to monetize our content either because that isn't our motivation, or we don't meet the thresholds of viewership required, or we don't want to be on a treadmill to produce a new 30-minute video every week to feed the monster. I put myself in that category (although I do derive income from my book sales), as is the case with many outstanding YouTube machinist creators like Stefan Gotteswinter, Randy Richards, Robin Renzetti, Cà Lem, and Clickspring, to name a few.

We could debate forever whether Google's business model is fleecing the public or a fair business proposition. Many of these arguments are strongly biased on the basis of personal views about capitalism in general. I'm not going to try to defend Google, but I am very thankful YouTube exists as a platform, and that they give their users an option to pay nothing for the value received for the pain/suffering of watching some ads. At the same time, I'm thankful they have a paid plan where for $12/month, I don't have to watch the ads. At least we have a choice here.

Last edited:
In some ways I like the way you-tube videos are funded. In some ways it reminds me of US restaurant workers that get paid a small amount from the restaurant and then make make more in tips based on the value they provide. I know it is not an exact correlation. I find that I can watch most providers with only having to skip past a "sponsor" spiel imbedded somewhere in the contest. Others don't even have that. I also can use Patreon to provide additional funding (in an amount of my choosing) to a few creators that provide exceptional service (value). If at any time I think that I am not getting value for what I spend (either in time watching adds or additional funding) I can just go to the shop and not watch You-tube at all and therefore not pay any price ( or get any value) from you-tube. No system is perfect but overall You-tube seems to be a reasonable compromise between value and cost and unlike paying for a library with county taxes, I can opt out anytime I want.

A library is not free - you pay for it with your tax dollars. I just checked my tax bill for my modest home in Portland Oregon, and see that for this year, I'm paying $224.26 to the county specifically for the libraries in my area. On a monthly basis, that is more costly than YouTube premium.

I run a YouTube channel myself, as do several of my friends. We all have slightly different motives for creating and posting content.

I've read some of your "printed" articles and had no idea you also have a presence on YT. Glad to see it, and I'll be checking it out this afternoon. F360 for woodworking looks like a great start - thanks for creating content.

Ahh libraries and property taxes. I live at the other end of I5 from you, and pay almost no property taxes (yay!). We have 4 day a week schools, no library, no fire department and almost no law enforcement (boo!). It's cheap to live here, as long as your house doesn't catch on fire.

live at the other end of I5 from you, and pay almost no property taxes (yay!).
I assume by that you mean the southern end of I-5 within Oregon. Right?

Back