YOU OWN A central machinery 9x20 lathe???

Accept it... you really do not like reading the manual... come out clean now... :D

You should have:

2 - 30T gears
1 - 36T gear
1 - 42T gear
1 - 45T gear
2 - 80T gear

From your photo I see:

2 - 30T gears - I only see one...
1 - 36T gear :encourage:
1 - 42T gear :encourage:
1 - 45T gear :encourage:
2 - 80T gear :encourage:

Can you take a photo of the gears installed on the lathe? Open the side cover and share a photo...

View attachment 421040
dont have the lathe here yet,.............BTW that broke lever I mentioned how does that come off??

you mean Im kinda good to go???? marvelous!!!!!!!!!!! :encourage: atleast somethings going right
>>>>>>>>>BTW thiers 1 more small one to the right that didnt get in the pic, that the 30T you didnt see???

Excellent, then yes, you are set!

I gave you the link to download it... it is the same as the Grizzly... here you go:

Are you able to click on the link and see it?
no, sez it was blocked, thats ok got one coming :encourage: what aminute! that grizzly one worked........thx

re that 1/2 nut lever, you said yours was broke so u had to make one, how did u get the broke one off??

Last edited:

Attachments

• g4000_m.pdf
    5.3 MB · Views: 2
re that 1/2 nut lever, you said yours was broke so u had to make one, how did u get the broke one off??

Remove it from the machine... Parts diagram had a circlip holding it in place... nope, it was held with a screw.

IMG_2316.jpeg

I tried removing with the lathe by turning it... No good... DO NOT DO THAT.... chunks flew off... scary stuff...

So I just removed the remaining pot metal with a small hammer and small chisel... it just broke off in pieces without too much effort...

IMG_2337.jpeg

so your saying it has to come off from the back of the apron??? the lathe isnt here yet so cant see anything

so your saying it has to come off from the back of the apron??? the lathe isnt here yet so cant see anything
Shaft comes out the front... you loosen that bolt from the back. It is that bolt that holds the shaft to the rest of the assembly.

I did not have to take anything else out to get to it... whole apron assembly stays in place... no need to remove the apron.

When you are ready to do it, let me know. I will take photos of mine... But once you have the lathe, it will make more sense once you see it.

A couple of points to keep in mind for future(?) use. First off there is a plastic (nylon?) gear just off the spindle. It is for a "soft spot" which will break if something is out of true or jams down stream. You would have to really gum up the thrreading train for it to jam and break the gear. But it can happen. I never broke mine, it got changed to metal when I added a toggle to reverse the lead screw. I also built a planetary reduction gear, the project is posted here somewhere. I don't think it is very complicated, just time consuming. But of the few feedbacks I have gotton, all remarked it was too complicated for "them". Spindle speed at the lowest setting is ~43RPM.

Then there is the smaller thread cutting range. The machine can cut down to 120 TPI. With that setting the longitudinal feed is very slight. On heavy cuts in steel it may rub instead of cutting. On the matter of juggling the ranging gears to get a sharper ratio into the Norton box. I don't recall the exact gearing, it's just a matter of swapping a gear that is double the number of teeth. The machine is in another building and I don't feel like going next door to get the details.

It will also cut courser than the chart but is not recommended for so light a machine. I have cut larger threads once, in plastic (PVC) to make a custom coupling for a low pressure water line. It wasn't very clean, but the whole project was sort of cobbled together anyway. It doesn't leak, that I know of, but that is the thread sealer I used. And there is only a meter of head behind the pipe. No real pressure.

Another thought based on the above: There have been numerous gripes about the poor ZAMAK (pot metal?) used for operating levers. The end result of most of them was to build new ones of steel. Mine are intact, but I tend to be gentle with such a small machine.

Last edited:
Back