You never know who's tracking you online

Amen brother. Me either.
Good for you Jeff. It has become so hard to get along without them. But think about it, how is FB and Zuckerberg worth billions when its supposedly free? That never made sense to me.

I friend of mine is a private investigator for a couple of attorneys. He says face book is one of his best sources of information. Just saying.

Steve,
You said it. There is so much personal information on a social site.

It’s also why I do no social media, no Facebook, no Twitter, no nuthin. Ever listened to the guys who used to be on the inside of those tech co’s? The way they get attention is by fomenting outrage. No wonder mental illnesses is through the roof.

THIS is my Social Media. I've worked developer conferences for FBook, Amzon, and SnaCh. They have a business plan that's not about being good to you. You're not a customer, you're a product....

Now for an easy tip.

Use three different browsers. Me, I use Firefox for general browsing and have it set to delete all cookies every time it restarts, I use Chrome for accounts I have passwords on and don't want to put in all my information every time I login, like to my email, and I use Opera with it's built in VPN for super secret squirrel stuff (in private mode of course).

If you really want to be paranoid start looking into facial recognition technology and the companies that use it.

John

Amen, Amen, Amen. . . Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. . .

I don't even trust my bank(s) with private information and change my password regularly. Have the camera and mic and some other stuff all turned off in my computer. Got electrical tape over the camera lens, disconnected the mic, and do a "sweep" several times a week. Take the battery out of my cell phone except when I'm actually having a conversation or charging the battery. Take it to the extremes, I'm just paranoid about any and every thing involving technology. And don't mind admitting it.

I worked with computers before the days of the IBM PC-XT. Well, before the '286 anyway. And read(and read), avidly, science fiction. Saw this mess coming years ago, when bank cards first started up. Put most of my assets into metals and property. Now that I'm retired (disabled) I don't have a lot of money, but I don't have any debts either. So it all balances out.

Quote: If you really want to be paranoid start looking into facial recognition technology and the companies that use it.

That's one of many reasons I grew a heavy beard and mustasche. Anything further delves into my political leanings so I'll have to back out.

THIS is my Social Media. I've worked developer conferences for FBook, Amzon, and SnaCh. They have a business plan that's not about being good to you. You're not a customer, you're a product....

Now for an easy tip.

Use three different browsers. Me, I use Firefox for general browsing and have it set to delete all cookies every time it restarts, I use Chrome for accounts I have passwords on and don't want to put in all my information every time I login, like to my email, and I use Opera with it's built in VPN for super secret squirrel stuff (in private mode of course).

If you really want to be paranoid start looking into facial recognition technology and the companies that use it.

John
I agree, this and one other forum is my social media. 10yrs ago I was listening to a radio program with a guy who was talking about the tracking going on and had a program that would show you all the things you picked up in this spider web representation and it scared me so bad. That when I shifted to DuckDuckGo as my browser. Way cleaner.

No social media for me. I mostly use duckduckgo for internet searches. I also use Yippy and occasionally use google for searches. I have privacy badger which blocks all tracking cookies and ads. My cell phone is a dumb phone. No text. No internet connection. No gps. I refuse to buy anything on Amazon. After living on my sailboat for almost 11 years I got used to no TV. Never watched TV much before that anyway. So no TV in my house. Virtually no radio reception where I live. My house is quiet and peaceful. I like it that way.

Subject: Google Pizza

CALLER: Is this Gordon's Pizza?

GOOGLE: No sir, it's Google Pizza.

CALLER: I must have dialed a wrong number. Sorry.

GOOGLE: No sir, Google bought Gordon’s Pizza last month.

CALLER: OK.. I would like to order a pizza.

GOOGLE: Do you want your usual, sir?

CALLER: My usual? You know me?

GOOGLE: According to our caller ID data sheet, the last 12 times you called you ordered an extra-large pizza with three cheeses, sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and meatballs on a thick crust.

CALLER: OK! That’s what I want.

GOOGLE: May I suggest that this time you order a pizza with ricotta, arugula, sun-dried tomatoes and olives on a whole wheat gluten free thin crust?

CALLER: What? I detest vegetables.

GOOGLE: Your cholesterol is not good, sir.

CALLER: How the hell do you know?

GOOGLE: Well, we cross-referenced your home phone number with your medical records. We have the results of your blood tests for the last 7 years.

CALLER: Okay, but I do not want your rotten vegetable pizza! I already take medication for my cholesterol.

GOOGLE: Excuse me sir, but you have not taken your medication regularly. According to our database, you only purchased a box of 30 cholesterol tablets once, at Drug RX Network, 4 months ago.

CALLER: I bought more from another drugstore.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your credit card statement.

CALLER: I paid in cash.

GOOGLE: But, you did not withdraw enough cash according to your bank statement.

CALLER: I have other sources of cash.

GOOGLE: That doesn’t show on your last tax return unless you bought them using an undeclared income source, which is against the law.

CALLER: WHAT THE HELL?

GOOGLE: I'm sorry, sir, we use such information only with the sole intention of helping you.

CALLER: Enough already! I'm sick to death of Google, Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp and all the others. I'm going to an island without internet, cable TV, where there is no cell phone service and no one to watch me or spy on me.

GOOGLE: I understand sir, but you need to renew your passport first. It expired 6 weeks ago…

Now for an easy tip.

John

Interesting.
My use of Firefox and Chrome are flipped from yours.
I trust Mozilla more than I trust Google.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back