Yet another DIY table feed thread

somehow i dont believe what i read. isnt op talking about a bridgeport? that probably is a 3000 pounds mill. my 4000 pounds mill has a 1.5 kw motor to power the feeds. a windshield whiper motor? good for a laugh. no? (what power do these have btw, 150 w, i would guess?)

I think your over thinking things wiper motor or window riser motors have more than enough power and can take a lot more than twelve volt for short periods of time for rapid feed. When the large satellite dishes where the craze I had a GM window riser motor move my dish for different satellite's it was tracked by my home computer worked great for years. Here is a affordable PWM board I have used a lot of these they work great.

http://www.bakatronics.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=152

Last edited:
this is the mill.

DSC00809_zps2035f166.jpg

it has a 2.2 kw spindle motor and a 1.5 kw motor for the feeds. its a fact. i have to assume, the manufacturer new what he was doing.

so whats the power of a wiper motor? (i have one somewhere, it was meant for the cross feed of my 3-in-1, but cant find it now.)

ok, ya got me. . . . that thing is as big as the great outdoors.

I will concede a windshield motor would probably not crank that into a cut :) that is a monster.

can you power cut "x" & "y" at the same time and remove metal ?

im thinking "yes" is the answer. . .

is that a horiz & vertical mill ?

If you can hand crank it, the wiper motor will work, they have tremendous torque.

The way that mill is built it would need to be a heavy table drive motor as the way all the table feeds work there would be a lot of frictional loss due to the gearing and change of directions on everything, very inefficient way to move tables and such. Probably 3x-4x the drag as a standard mill table like a Bridgeport has.

There's simply no comparison between that universal mill and a BP table feed. That table alone probably weighs about 1/3 of the entire clone, so of course it takes ~ 1 hp to drive it, especially considering the size cut the mill can take. The wiper motors are quite powerful considering their size, and compared to the Servo style motor, about right. I also agree that the speed is probably the only downside in a rapid traverse mode.

somehow i dont believe what i read. isnt op talking about a bridgeport? that probably is a 3000 pounds mill. my 4000 pounds mill has a 1.5 kw motor to power the feeds. a windshield whiper motor? good for a laugh. no? (what power do these have btw, 150 w, i would guess?)

My original post was in reference to my Bridgeport machine which is approx 2200lbs (has a 12 inch knee). The x-axis movement is so smooth (has good chrome ways, with only 0.012" backlash) that I can "throw" the hand wheel and it will continue spinning for a complete revolution or more. So I have no doubt a windshieid wiper motor can move the bed, moving it uniformly while under an aggresive cut remains to be seen.

It's probably too loose and needs the gib snugged up.

I also used a 12 pt socket as a engage/disengage clutch for my power feed. The window lift motor has plenty of power for G0619 mill.
View attachment 53913View attachment 53914View attachment 53915

Thanks very much for posting the pics, as it helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ideas :) Going to pick up a wiper or window motor and see what RPM it runs at, as would love to do a direct drive set up like you have shown (without chains and pullies). I am hoping a PWM will work to slow the motor and give some speed control without killing the torque, but will need to see how the motor works first. If it works out well I will probabaly put one on the head assembly too :)

Well, thanks again, today I picked up a similar motor plus two others with ACME drive screws attached. Think I will use the window one, although its 24V and not 12, shouldn't be an issue.

Back