Yet another DIY table feed thread

Wiper motors are extremely tough. We’ve been using them for years.
Great for a winch to lift snow plow blades on 4 wheeler ATV’s .
Work great for remote steering on large boats and House Boats.
Raising and lowering large hatches on House Boats.
I've never had on fail even coming out off junkers.
My favorite one to use is off Ford Pickup Trucks 70’s – 80’s easy to parking switch

Good stuff everybody. I'll have to rethink the windshield wiper motor.

Reply to stern: Here is the motor, followed by a couple of arrangement pictures. That exact motor may not be available but any similar one should work.View attachment 53581View attachment 53582View attachment 53583

Thank you so much, as while I was skeptical about a wiper motor I am going to go ahead with it. The pics and data are invaluable to me, thank you so much. Getting so many ideas for tools and improvements from this site I may have to retire so I can start making the list smaller :)

What rpm do you guys get from your wiper motors at 12v (I assume)? I found them too slow for a rapid return, they maxed out at about 70 rpm.

Not an exact reply to martik777, but to quote my article:"The table travels smoothly from a barely perceptible crawl to a maximum of 6 inches per minute. This was just good luck, because I had not investigated the window winding speed and the sprockets used were just what came off the old copy machine. " BTW, the motor sprocket is 1.25" diameter and the x-axis sprocket is 3.5" diameter.

Last edited:
somehow i dont believe what i read. isnt op talking about a bridgeport? that probably is a 3000 pounds mill. my 4000 pounds mill has a 1.5 kw motor to power the feeds. a windshield whiper motor? good for a laugh. no? (what power do these have btw, 150 w, i would guess?)

hey dian,

how many h/p do your power drives have ? 1.5kw ? 2+hp ? that's about the same size as the quill motor on a bridgy, that may be what your meaning. . .

do the power feeds not advertise at 150 - 200 inch pounds drive power or so as the standards ?
im not a wizard but if you look carefully at the actual motor size on these purchased power feed units I believe they compare in physical size to a wiper motor. and again, those who have posted a successful DIY unit, seem to confirm that they do in fact, work.

light dimmer switch, doorbell transformer, diode, a couple switches and a motor. I have 3 options for motors and will try all of them. first I need to do the clutch / coupling thing.

I used a 1/2" drive Sioux air nut driver for my knee on my Bridgeport, using about 90 psi air. it never complained about being overworked. ::)

I am working on a wiper / window motor to control my x and y on a smaller mill. . I will be the first one to tell you if it does not function. :)

the 4 foot snow plow on my Honda fourwheeler is lifted with a wiper motor adapted to a small cable drum.

A Bridgeport weighs around 1800 lbs at best. The servo style table feeds are rated at 150 and 170 inch pounds of torque. Our 8000 lb k&t has a 1/4 Hp table feed motor. I think a wiper motor has plenty of torque for a Bridgeport type table feed, speed might be a little slow but hey I might run with it.

If you look again at post #8 you will see that it has a clutch using a old 1/2 sq drive socket.

Note that a wiper motor is a 14 volt motor not 12, it is made to work at the voltage of the charging system,( as are all auto parts,) And can be used at higer voltages than that for fast return, without any problems.

Wiper motors are handed , so if you want the motor to face forward or rearward just get the correct hand, If you look at post#8 you will see that the motor faces forward ,but is below the level of the table, the oposite hand will face to the rear and still be below the table.

As for power it is not a problem, just dont let it hit the stops it will simply push them out of the way, because of this if you stop the main motor without stopping the feed you will probably ruin your work and the cutter.

A reostat in the feed will reduce the speed, But also the power. a PMR circut only reduces the speed, One can be made using a 555 timer chip very cheaply.

If you are still worried about power get a old truck wiper motor off a 24 volt system dont forget it is made to run at the higer charging voltage,

I have a micro switch stop on the table, With a push button override for the return.

Brian.

If you look again at post #8 you will see that it has a clutch using a old 1/2 sq drive socket.
Brian.
I also used a 12 pt socket as a engage/disengage clutch for my power feed. The window lift motor has plenty of power for G0619 mill.
MILLmill 001.jpgMILLmill 002.jpgMILLmill 003.jpg

MILLmill 001.jpg MILLmill 002.jpg MILLmill 003.jpg

Back