Yes or no on this milling machine?

Milling machine is home, cleaned up a little, and finally wired up. I called Newall, and they walked me through some steps and I was able to get the DRO working correctly. Unfortunately, it went right back to "0.0000" after I unplugged & plugged it back in later on, so I may have to go through the steps again. Apparently, this model has an internal battery of some sort that goes dead every 6 months, so I may try pulling the cover to see if I can replace it.

The power feed is working pretty well, too, but it does have its occasional quirks...its easy to work around, though.

I drilled a few 5/8" holes with it, just to see if there were any odd bearing/spindle noises, everything was all good. I've pulled the cam gear outer ring, and have been soaking the top with penetrating oil...hopefully I can get it to slide up/down and get it out of low gear.

Let me know when you do the back gear rebuild. It isn't hard, and I only used the video I posted earlier. It was more than enough, even if it looked like the wrong head.

BTW I'm no 'wrench head' like the guys that rebuild motors for cars, etc. I do rebuild machines, and most of them are really, really easy!

I was able to find an Induma manual, which shows the break down of the head...hopefully it won't be a difficult fix!

I completely forgot to update this thread!

I was able to get the Induma to switch between low and high speeds. I pulled the motor and top portion of the head (called the pulley housing), which houses the back gear and upper spindle/pulley assembly. There is a large steel bushing that slides inside of the upper pulley housing, which is itself aluminum. Best I can tell, one of the previous owners had banged a bit on top of the housing and marred the edges of the aluminum enough to cause the bushing to lock up. The bushing is the pieces that slides with the cam ring, to switch in and out of the back gear/low speed. I had to go over the aluminum housing a few times with 500 - 1200 grit sand paper, but was able to get it smooth enough to allow the bushing to correctly slide up and down. Put it all back together, and now I have all 8 speeds.

Here is the housing...
20190601_073219_jpg-966970.JPG

...and here is the bushing:
20190601_073214_jpg-966972.JPG

The bushing slides up and down in the housing, and holds one of the bearings for the spindle shaft.

This is the portion that slides up and down with the cam gear, which engages/disengages the back gear for low speed.
20190601_071451_jpg-966973.JPG

20190601_083954_jpg-966974.JPG

The only issue I have now with the milling machine is the Newall DRO. Initially, when I first looked at the mill all the DRO would do is turn on. You could reset the X & Y to "0.0000", but could never get the scales to track. Called Newall, and they were able to walk me through resetting and it worked perfectly....until I powered it off. Eventually, I figured out there was backup CR2032 inside that had likely died years ago, so I replaced it and again reset the DRO. Once again, it worked perfectly. I turned it off (but left it plugged in), and the next day it was completely dead. No red indicator light, nothing....couldn't get the display to do anything. I checked the 0.8a fuse, and it was OK, and confirmed I was getting power past the switch, but still can't get it to do anything. I'll probably end up pulling it again and checking over the board, hopefully its something simple. Either way, the DRO was just a bonus, I'm still stoked the mill is back operational!

simple things first: Did you get the battery in right way up?
for me those darn things seem to get smaller every year!
-brino

I'm sure you'll figure out the DRO issue, probably just corrosion of contacts or similar thing. If you can get a copy of the circuit diagram it will help a lot

Regarding the DRO backup battery CR2032 - I hate to admit this on myself but if it helps:
I replaced one in a small electronic item and it still didn't work, replaced it with another and it still didn't work - until I (put my glasses on and) realized that the CR2032s had a clear protective film over the back of the battery.:eek 2: All of sudden things were working again! :grin:
Good luck with your new mill!

The battery doesn't have anything to do with the unit powering up, it just saves the settings once its powered down. It actually initially worked fine after I changed the battery, but something happened overnight with it plugged up. I'll check the battery just in case, but I am 99% sure its something other than the battery.

Well, at least you got a great mill, and the scales should be compatible witha modern reader - perhaps Newall can give you a deal on an new display unit.

Back