Yes or no on this milling machine?

Jason280 I can't speak for US prices - our Canadian funny money makes it hard to say. For me, with the VFD, IP54 box and wires, it was $400 CDN. I think you can do a 2HP VFD for 30% less. NOTE I bought a TECO US made VFD. offshore ones are a lot cheaper.

On a step pulley machine, there is really not much to go wrong. The overall wear of the machine would be what I would be checking, not so much the little details like the backgear engagement (unless it has broken gears in there)... you know you will most likely be tearing into it anyhow
I would much rather have the first deal than the second. Just my opinion. But then I'm not put off by an inoperative DRO, probably fixable with some tinkering, cleaning and maybe electronical repair
Mark

I think this is where the problem is...

20190506_123703_jpg-936808.JPG

20190506_123649_jpg-936809.JPG

20190506_123725_jpg-936810.JPG

so this is easy. check out this video... the upper rebuild if fairly straightforward:

I'm not sure how much difference there would be, as the link above covers a variable speed head. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a video that covered just a stepped-pulley head...considering how many are out there, I figured I would be able to find at least one!

Okay in the pictures you posted above as a reference. There is the slots in the ring that the handle is connected to those slots are angled. Acting as a ramp. There are the pins on each side that ride within the slot. When the lever is pointing at you at the operators position it is raising that bearing assembly. Which those pins are connected to the bearing Assy. When doing so it engages into high gear, along with throwing the in/out lever on the right side of the head.
Then that lever on top stroked to the right and the other lever on right side of head gets put in the other position and you have low gear.
What you wanna see when moving that top lever right and forward is that those pins are moving and the top of bearing will move up and down that1/4-1/2. Then the lever on the side strokes forward and back about 180* apart. Internally it is raising a gear so you might have to manually spin the spindle a touch for the gears to mess. It’s easy once done.

You can watch the pins on both sides pivot a slight bit, but they are not raising/lowering when shifting.

Looking at the first pic I posted above, should either of those rings (the ones around the main shaft with the spanner detent) move up or down? At least, should one slide up or down with the cam on the lever?

Their are two spanner rings one presses on the ID race of the bearing and the larger is for the OD race of the bearing. The ring with the slots is about 1/4" thick besides that ring that whole bearing Assy should move up and down which allows the pulleys to mesh with the main spindle. That bearing Assy is connected to the pulley inside the housing and actually you should be able to see that pulley Assy also move up/down. It's a slight movement. If the mill has been sitting it could very well be possible the bearing Assy in question is seized in position. I'd recommend grabbing some PB blaster and a rubber mallet. Stroke the lever spraying and tapping till you see the bearing Assy moving u/down about 1/4". From the pictures looks like your in the raised position = flush with ring top. Put lever to side spray and tap pitying tap the ring and housing till she moves. Good luck.

Back