X, Y, Z On A Lathe

There is several standards that cover this topic, asme and an ISO one from what I remember. Tim

Almost proves the old saying that there are as many realities as there are persons on the planet.
Tony knows of at least 7 axises so maybe we should name one the T axis after him.

Dave, are you one of the guys that solved the enigma?
Time for my nap, Mike

Nope, but Alan Turing worked where I work now... ;)
And Donald Davies (packet switching, you know, how the internet works)
And Sir Robert Watson-Watt (RADAR)

I'm just a humble engineer though, not a high-browed scientist :(

Dave H. (the other one)

Edit: Forgot Louis Essen, atomic clock maker, should remember him, it's what I'm messing with!

When working on Fadals, the CNC axes were as such:

X-to and away from the operator.
Y-right and left of the operator.
Z-up and down of the spindle.

We have a 20 X 40 two and a half axis Fadal mill, it also has a 4th axis that simply moves the coolant nozzle in a relationship with the tool in use IF you enable it and IF you are willing to program it, I believe that Fadal calls this feature "Servo Coolant".

I'm just a humble engineer though, not a high-browed scientist :(

Dave H. (the other one)

Edit: Forgot Louis Essen, atomic clock maker, should remember him, it's what I'm messing with!

Yikes, are your posts radioactive?

There is several standards that cover this topic, asme and an ISO one from what I remember. Tim

Good thing you didn't remember them all, they would just get in the way.

We have a 20 X 40 two and a half axis Fadal mill, it also has a 4th axis that simply moves the coolant nozzle in a relationship with the tool in use IF you enable it and IF you are willing to program it, I believe that Fadal calls this feature "Servo Coolant".

A two and a half axis mill that has 4 axises and a programmable coolant nozzle, boy you really know how to wreck a thread.

Yikes, are your posts radioactive?

Other kind of atomic! They use a Caesium vapour and pump it with the atoms' ionisation energy/frequency, which is re-emitted when it returns to neutral - it's incredibly stable and a single frequency which is then counted down to once-a-second.
The Best Clocks in use are accurate to about a second in 158 million years, the next generation are getting difficult to measure, as they're in the one second in the lifetime-of-the-universe bracket...
I just distribute the time from 'em, accurate to a ten-millionth of a second everywhere it reaches, the easy bit.

Dave H. (the other one)

My original objective was to identify and adopt conventional terminology when making notes about my machining exercises on a lathe. I keep a log book of the stuff done, what worked, what didn't, and why (when possible). Helps me digest and learn from it. Just thought that referring to the x,y, or z axis would be a new level of sophistication for me :)
Thanks everybody for the input.
I think life was wonderful as a machinist before all this XYZ crap was invented; I'm talking the early 1960s, when we had longnitudinal, cross feed, and little else; on mills, we had table feed, infeed and vertical feed; call me an old fart; guilty!

Oh Dear, Just to confuse things even more perhaps.
Being one who messed about in boats I referred to the "Y" axis on my mill as the "Port n Starboard" the "X" as "Fore n Aft". The "Z" was just "Up n Down". Still do at times. :confused:
It depends on what terms you are used to I guess. But, when talking to other swarf nuts it is best to learn the conventions and I am still trying. :chagrin:
John B

ps. Just had a look at the Turning&LatheBasics.PDF now me ed aches. :faint:

Last edited:
Back