X, Y, Z On A Lathe

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Is the following a fair statement?:

'The axis parallel to the spindle axis is always Z, whether its a mill or lathe. And, for the lathe, the axis that controls the diameter is always X.''

Does that mean the 'up and down' adjustment when using a milling attachment on the lathe is the Y axis?

IMG_1612.JPG

The statement is correct, and I would tend to agree that your assumption about 'Y' is correct also.

Yes. On a lathe, carriage travel is Z, cross slide travel is X and tool height adjustment is Y.

Tom

The compound isn't restricted to a single axis. Maybe that's why it's called a compound? ;)

Tom

To my mind the compound rotates on an axis but what to call it? Bet the CNC guys that write 5 axis programs could tell us.

To my mind the compound rotates on an axis but what to call it? Bet the CNC guys that write 5 axis programs could tell us.
With CNC there would be no need for the compound. The use of Z and X in tandem can achieve everything that the compound can do and more.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

In standard convention, if memory serves, the basic axes are X, Y, and Z with the additional axes identified by number. On a mill, or HMC/VMC, the primary rotary axis is called the 4th axis, and if the mill spindle articulates, you gain another, and if the rotary axis in mounted on trunion table, you gain yet another. Sub spindles and live tooling on lathes and powered tailstocks just keep adding. Plus the main spindle can be used with a control as an axis of its own. I've not been around anything with more than 7 that I can remember, and that was at a Halliburton internal shop. I really don't know what the limit is. Never thought about it or talked with anyone about it. Not long after that project we took from HES's shop, we bought a similar machine. Theirs was a Integrex of some series. Been too long. I know we sent a couple of guys for a couple of weeks of training on a 7 axis(I believe) machine once. Machine was over a million and the software to program is came to around 100k for 2 1/2 seats. Very sweet machine. I have some pictures somewhere, but with about 70,000 in my collection they would be hard to find. They aren't organized well.

Seems we ran out of letters too quick by starting with x. What were those trig guys thinking? I just developed a splitting headache. In my shop until further notice we are sticking with letters and the rotational axis of the compound is to be called the C axis. Not to be confused with compound travel. If you want to discuss it come on over. Bring donuts and I'll brew some gourmet coffee.

Last edited:
Don't quote me on it, but the usual axes are X-Y-Z and A-B-C, as I understand it A, B and C are rotations around X, Y and Z so a rotary table on a vertical mill would be C-axis, a dividing head set up for gear cutting would be A-axis - but I may be wrong, it has been known (ask my ex...)
That would make topslide *rotation* B-axis, damned if I know what topslide travel would be, combination of X and Z, lots of sines and cosines involved?

Dave H. (the other one)

Back