X/Y vise

I can't speak for c-bag, but on mine there was a lot of back and forth slop in the screws, plus they bound up in certain directions due to a lack of thrust bearing. The Y axis (bottom one) has always been looser in the middle so it still requires fiddling with the lock screws if I'm working on something at either extreme of the travel. The top axis is fine though and was made better with a new gib and extra gib screws. The big downside to these tables in general though is that if you have something really large (like a 4ft long 2x4), it's a pain to balance it on top of the jaws as you no longer have a large flat table to rest it on. Most of my work is small though, so it's rarely an annoyance.

Here are a couple of pics of mine, including with my drill press in "mill" mode
View attachment 342180
View attachment 342182
Truly a study in YMMV.
Mine has play in the lead screws and a couple of glitches in the dovetails but that didn’t matter to me. I am not machining, I’m drilling holes only. So I get to my mark, lock the locks and drill. It stays right where I want it and I don’t have undo clamps and muddle about changing right where I want it. It’s just a drill press vise to me, not super precision. That’s what my old worn out mill drill is for :)

Just for fun ...
Here are a couple of mods I added to a slightly larger X-Y table. Might be applicable for use with a drill press vise.
1. Added a threaded rod and two "thumb release" nuts, to allow setting two reference points, or quickly locking the position of that axis. Also note the polycarbonate extensions on the base, used to mount Magswitches. The magswitches cling AMAZINGLY well to steel or cast iron tables and allow repositioning the slide, then securing it in position without additional clamps or whatnotXY4.jpg

2. Stuck a length of self-adhesive ruler to the other axis and scribed a reference mark on the base. Helps in setting up. Tapped an additional hole behind the gibs of the two axes. The socket head screws can be used to lock the position. Better view of the Magswitches.
XY5.jpg

Last edited:
Just for fun ...
Here are a couple of mods I added to a slightly larger X-Y table. Might be applicable for use with a drill press vise.
1. Added a threaded rod and two "thumb release" nuts, to allow setting two reference points, or quickly locking the position of that axis. Also note the polycarbonate extensions on the base, used to mount Magswitches. The magswitches cling AMAXINGLY well to steel or cast iron tables and allow repositioning the slide, then securing it in position without additional clamps or whatnotView attachment 342249

2. Stuck a length of self-adhesive ruler to the other axis and scribed a reference mark on the base. Helps in setting up. Tapped an additional hole behind the gibs of the two axes. The socket head screws can be used to lock the position. Better view of the Magswitches.
View attachment 342253
Ok that looks like a proper piece of kit!

Back