X/Y vise

I don’t think it’s a great candidate for rebuilding as it’s taken a number of direct hits. Spared the table thankfully!
(This is 100% cleaner than it was when I bought the press)
9228106f1ea1e31c3edbd12793f69c5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drape a scrap of heavy vinyl over the screws if I have clamps nearby — keeps the spatter off.

Hmmm, so what’s the true piece o‘ junk here? The vise or the bozo X operator? No wonder the thing is glitchy, looks like somebody opened up on it with a machine gun! Couple of near misses on the table too by the pics.

Hmmm, so what’s the true piece o‘ junk here? The vise or the bozo X operator? No wonder the thing is glitchy, looks like somebody opened up on it with a machine gun! Couple of near misses on the table too by the pics.

Yeah, I’m glad the vise took the brunt of the barrage. The only damage to the table is the ring visible in the lower right corner.
Otherwise the table is perfect.
I’ll use my 5” drill press vise for now and relegate this thing to welding duty as @francist suggested.

I have one of these vises, and the screws and dovetails are useless. I just leave it loose unless something needs to be restrained. Then, I tighten the stupid gib wingnut and do fine positioning by sliding the base around. One of the screws was so bad, I permanently removed it. That axis is just pushed around. Another problem is that you cannot drill straight using parallels. The center bar is proud of the ways, so if you put parallels down, they teeter-toter. Also, there is a huge casting void next to the fixed jaw, so the parallel sits at the wrong height. If I need to drill something straight, I use an angle plate or 123 blocks.

This tool is useful for holding small pieces and is safer than holding parts in your hand. It doesn't even clamp that tightly.

I pulled the X/Y vise off tonight and filled up my 5” drill press vise.
To remove some slop I milled a few thou off the bottom boss where the retainer/sliding plate attaches. Definitely snugged things up.

Back