X/Y vise

DavidR8

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter
So my new drill press came with a Jacob brand 4" X/Y vise.
Like this one:
Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 11.40.07 PM.png
I spent some time cleaning it up tonight and frankly it's not that great. The Y-axis travel is pretty smooth, but the X is quite grabby. I think maybe a bushing in the fitting that holds the X-axis lead screw to the body is worn.
Wondering if anyone has any experience with these contraptions...
I do have a 5" 'normal' drill press vise also that I can easily thrown one if this thing annoys me too much...

Yes, I have used one. Once cleaned up, and the dovetails stoned, it can be used to position work, but it lacks the rigidity to do any serious slotting. I suppose in a post apocalyptical "Mad Max" circumstance, I would consider using it to make a slot in 1/16th to 1/8th thick aluminum, but that would be a stretch.

I have one of these and found the same issues.
To make it useful, I totally dismantled it and scraped in all sliding surfaces and then fitted properly sized bronze bushes and thrust washers to the X and y spindles.
It is now a very useful vice!
If you know enough about scraping and blueing on a surface plate, I'm happy to help you deciding the order of surfaces to scrap - if you need help.
Cheers
Joe

Cheers
Joe

I've got one of those gathering dust on a shelf in the shop. Bought it for the drill press, replaced it with an X-Y table that has a standard drill press vise bolted to up. Much more versatile (not to mention rigid) set up.

Can't find a use for the old X/Y vise. Sounds like it might at least make a project to learn scraping.

Joe, What you did to your vise sounds like a worthwhile adventure into basic machine tool rebuilding.
Do you have any pics of your rebuild?
Mine is a piece of garbage as it is.
Your not alone David.
Slotting is done on the mill.

I found mine very convenient when I used it for its intended use. And it’s a funky HF version, probably worse than yours. I found out the hard way you don’t do even crude milling on a drill press. The chuck will come loose. But to do the next level accuracy above just setting something in a DP vise free on the table and hanging on, it works. No it’s not super smooth, but it was way more convenient to get right where I wanted it, and to move a hole over just a bit. Way easier than moving the clamps and having the clamps move the vise when tightened. If I need precision, that’s what the mill is for. I also had an old Palmgren xy rotary table and it’s a bit smoother and better finished than the HF, not good enough for the mill, so it’s what’s on the DP now. I also had a prismatic jaw I’d picked up somewhere and it fit on the HF xy vise and made it even handier for drilling round stock.

I've only got a couple of photos during painting and first assembly - before fitting the lead screw bushes. I might take some current ones in the next few days....

Attachments

• 15012012602.jpg
    15012012602.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37
  • 16012012604.jpg
    16012012604.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
I've only got a couple of photos during painting and first assembly - before fitting the lead screw bushes. I might take some current ones in the next few days....
Thanks Joe, the condition mine is in is about a light year away from yours!
I've never scraped anything except my knees when I was a kid :)
Don't have a surface plate but it definitely on my list.

David,

Since you already have a mill the best use for this tool might be offering it for sale and buying a good DP vise. I'm sure it can be improved but it will never be as accurate or useful as your RF-30. If you want something to learn scraping on there are probably better projects out there.

JMHO,

John

I bought one years ago from Busy Bee piece of Chinese junk. Took it apart saved the acme screws and handles. scrapped the rest.

Back