Sorry, do you have pics or them? I can't see any if you posted them. I found pics of the Atlas model online, but can't find any clausing 5717. Also, what are you asking for each one? I am interested. Where are they located so I can also get an idea on freight.

I have saved searches for craigslist and ebay items which I check regularly.
It's easy to set parameters far as distance from and price range.
Eventually something akin to your exact needs will pop up.
Yeah, I am being impatient. It seems that Utah is not a hotbed for machinery. There are only like 8 lathes for sale in classifieds I can see, and they're all like $12k-$80k big boys. East coast has all the good stuff!

Generally, any older model and all that I know of newer models as they were sold cut either inch-based or metric-based threads. Because to cut either type thread with no compromise requires that the lead screw be either inch or metric-based. I'm not familiar with the Clausing but the Atlas 3996 is a 12x36 cabinet model with QCGB that cuts inch threads from 4 to 96 TPI. With two additional gears and the stud and other parts to mount them, it will cut most standard inch-based threads from 8 to 96 TPI and some or most M0.5 to M7.5 metric threads. The metric threads are of course not exact (you could not use it to make a metric lead screw) but are close enough for most applications. Meaning that the pitch error is in the 3rd or 4th decimal place on an inch scale. Once converted, you will need one glove to keep your left hand clean when shifting from inch to metric or the reverse. I have a PDF of the original inch and the metric threading instruction plate in Downloads.

Whether or not the same technique can be applied to other badge machines depends upon their design and on what change gears are readily available for them.

Generally, any older model and all that I know of newer models as they were sold cut either inch-based or metric-based threads. Because to cut either type thread with no compromise requires that the lead screw be either inch or metric-based. I'm not familiar with the Clausing but the Atlas 3996 is a 12x36 cabinet model with QCGB that cuts inch threads from 4 to 96 TPI. With two additional gears and the stud and other parts to mount them, it will cut most standard inch-based threads from 8 to 96 TPI and some or most M0.5 to M7.5 metric threads. The metric threads are of course not exact (you could not use it to make a metric lead screw) but are close enough for most applications. Meaning that the pitch error is in the 3rd or 4th decimal place on an inch scale. Once converted, you will need one glove to keep your left hand clean when shifting from inch to metric or the reverse. I have a PDF of the original inch and the metric threading instruction plate in Downloads.

Whether or not the same technique can be applied to other badge machines depends upon their design and on what change gears are readily available for them.

Good info, thanks! My inch range would be 24 to 13 tpi... And metric from 1.0 - 1.75. I really could make do with maybe getting it close, like you say, and running a die across it. Either way, I really don't think I'll be threading much.

Well, it will not do M1.75. Available pitches are

M0.5
M0.75
M1.0
M1.25
M1.5
M2.0
M2.5
M3.0
M4.0
M5.0
M6.0
M7.5

Some of those either aren't or may not be any standard Metric thread. There are a lot of in between settings that that I know aren't useful, like M0.625!

As far as needing to run a die nut over them, whether it would actually cut anything or not would depend upon how thick the die nut is.

Crutches , Cab is the expert on these machines ( I believe he owns a 3996 still ) . I have one sitting in the garage but Utah sure is a long way away !

I could post pictures of the lathe but Cab could answer all of your questions I'm sure .

Edit . The Clausing is a 5917 , too many numbers going around in my head lately . :big grin:

Dave, I went back up the list and changed 5717 to 5917.

Crutches, sorry. I didn't realize that you and Dave were so far apart or that you weren't the OP. The Subject of this thread is:

WTB - 9-12" lathe in South East PA/DE

You probably should have sent PM's to any posters who had a lathe that fell within your window and/or started a new thread. I can split the thread and move pertinent posts to it. If you want to do that, just send me what you want to use as a subject.

Also, you said 30" to 40" bed. Taken literally, for most makes of 10" to 14" lathes, that translates into 18" or so between centers (actual working space). The Atlas 3996 is a 12x36 and has a 54" long bed. Most of other makes will be similar. The headstock and tailstock tend to be around 18" total length. Also, 10", 11" and 12" swing lathes tend to all be similar in size and weight. 14" ones tend to be in a different class and are usually much heavier.

Thanks Cab . I consider you the expert on the Atlas etc lathes . :encourage:

I have a 10*28 South Bend 10K light for sale with some tooling, I'd sell for $2300 shipped.

Back