I just went through various SB catalogs dated between 1931 and 1967 and don't find any catalog numbers or model numbers anything like that. I did confirm that a 4ft bed on a 9" would mean a 9x28 machine. And if the "C" in the model number given means a Model C, then that means manual cross feed only.

From whatever little information I could gather from trawling the net, no one seems to know much about this particular model.

I am not sure if I am supposed to be posting links to external sites, but here is the CL ad:

If I am breaking forum rules in any way, mods may please either let me know (and I will remove the link) or deactivate/remove this link.

Thanks for going through the catalogs and confirming that this is indeed a weird one.

No problem with the link. There is no telling where he came up with the model number. It looks like a standard 9" Model C. If the motor is more or less the same age as the lathe, and if the motor data place actually says 110 VAC instead of 115. 117 or 120, that dates it to 1940's or earlier. I note that it has 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks, live center, steady rest and milling attachment and appears that it might have all of the standard change gears. So the asking price of $950 may not be out of line.

No problem with the link. There is no telling where he came up with the model number. It looks like a standard 9" Model C. If the motor is more or less the same age as the lathe, and if the motor data place actually says 110 VAC instead of 115. 117 or 120, that dates it to 1940's or earlier. I note that it has 3-jaw and 4-jaw chucks, live center, steady rest and milling attachment and appears that it might have all of the standard change gears. So the asking price of $950 may not be out of line.

I see. Anyway $950 is way over my budget. I had no idea that you could determine the age of the motor based on the voltage printed on the label! Thanks again for the info.

Meanwhile my daily search of Craigslist continues!

OK on budget. I didn't recall that you ever actually said.

Dating a motor from the rated operating voltage is not terribly accurate. It can be a fairly good indicator of when it might have been originally made but not so much at when it was first sold at retail. However, the two dates are related most of the time.

Did you end up with a lathe yet ? Things are opening up a bit with my time and I will be perusing ( sp ) these lathes very soon .
:grin:

Did you end up with a lathe yet ? Things are opening up a bit with my time and I will be perusing ( sp ) these lathes very soon .
:grin:

Not yet, but over the last week or so, I have been in touch with a couple of potential sellers. Let's see how everything goes.

Please do let me know what you have.

I'm selling the Atlas 12" lathe fully tooled which may be over your budget , but let me know if you are interested . There is another young machinist on here that I will take care of if you aren't .

I'm selling the Atlas 12" lathe fully tooled which may be over your budget , but let me know if you are interested . There is another young machinist on here that I will take care of if you aren't .

I think a fully-tooled Atlas 12" might be an overkill for me. Of course budget is a significant factor as well.

Just to keep you (and everyone else that has assisted me, and responded to my posts) posted, I am in discussions with yet another local (private) seller regarding a lathe he wants to get rid of. Let's see how that goes.

Please feel free to assist the other machinist. Thanks again for getting back to me.

I did finally find a lathe. Thanks to everyone that helped and offered great guidance/advice.

Which one did you get?

Back