Wooden Gantry to Lift & Assemble VN Milling Machine

Let's test it out, shall we?

I want to move that base over, and put it on 3 layers of 2x4's so I can install Carrymaster/Zambus casters. Then I want to lay the column on top of it for temporarily storage until I am ready to assemble them both. The base is 450 pounds, the column is 350 pounds. I operated the come-along lever BEHIND the far support, to be out of the way.

002.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg007.jpg

008.jpg 010.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 015.jpg

The come-along was hung on a 3/4" allthread which placed was on top of a 2x4 "track" on the bridge, so it could be rolled back and forth between the spacers inside the gantry. Notice the second tag line used to guide the column in place on top of the base. The column was placed on wood 2x6 to prevent any damage.

Worked well so far. Next the ram needs to be placed nearby so it will be ready to install.

:tiphat:Nelson

002.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 010.jpg 012.jpg 013.jpg 015.jpg

Probably too late to mention this, but I've had great success with heavy duty ratcheting straps. I've used them like comealongs in a pinch, and I even lifted my 1000 lb Sheldon Lathe by one (using a 2 ton shop crane, the strap was run under the bed by the headstock). That would be just enough to get the piece off the ground so you could slip a dolly under it...500 lbs is pretty small potatoes in terms of machinery (though still lethal if mishandled). FWIW, there are several brands of casters rated to 1000 lbs each on ebay.....you wouldn't need to spend $275....more like $60 for 4, which is plenty stout for a VN12.

Probably too late to mention this, but I've had great success with heavy duty ratcheting straps. I've used them like comealongs in a pinch, and I even lifted my 1000 lb Sheldon Lathe by one (using a 2 ton shop crane, the strap was run under the bed by the headstock). That would be just enough to get the piece off the ground so you could slip a dolly under it...500 lbs is pretty small potatoes in terms of machinery (though still lethal if mishandled). FWIW, there are several brands of casters rated to 1000 lbs each on ebay.....you wouldn't need to spend $275....more like $60 for 4, which is plenty stout for a VN12.

Steve,

Never too late. The come-along I am using does not allow the load to be lowered easily. I am thinking to try something else, like a chainfall. Cranking it up is no picnic either. I stand behind one of the supports to use the lever. I also should have made the gantry smaller, like 4 feet, thereby concentrating the strength and leaving me more room.

As for casters, I want to go with the expensive ones, because they work so nicely, it is a pleasure to use them, and I will only be doing this once (hopefully).

The plan is that once I get the pieces positioned, the casters on the base, and make a new indexing pin, I will raise the pieces and reassemble the mill. I can roll the base to underneath where the pieces are lifted to make things easier.

I will take pictures of course. It might be a while- there is a heat wave coming here today and lasting for a week.

:tiphat:Nelson

Back