Wooden Gantry to Lift & Assemble VN Milling Machine

Great idea, Nelson. Reminds me of what this guy did: http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/bighoist01.html

It's actually pretty clever, considering that it's portable and works perfectly with a pickup truck. But you don't have much headroom in your basement. Why not assemble the base and column on it's side, then tip it up? I did that very thing with the help of my neighbor and the knee and gearbox were still on. You wouldn't actually be handling the full ~1,000 lbs, because the bottom of the mill will act like a fulcrum. You could possibly bolt/weld up a rolling stand and put it under the mill as you set it upright...which is sort of what I plan to do. :thinking:

Steve,

That's a great idea, except my area is so tight, I wouldn't have enough room to do it. The mill is against a framed wall and I'm alone. Then there is the ram assembly, which goes on top. Plus, I need help getting the table on once it is assembled. I am too old to do it alone anymore. The gantry will allow me to do that easily when it's finished.

While I have you here, let me hijack my own thread and ask if you would please post, or give me permission to post your article on the work you are doing on your #12 and update us on your progress. It is a great guide for me and others, but I didn't want to post it without permission.

Also, for Van Norman fans like us, I just bought an electrical box off one on Ebay because it came with a full set of schematics and electrical blueprints. I hope to scan there and post them online when I get it.

:tiphat:Nelson

Sure, you're welcome to post that thread....I kinda started it and my progress stalled because I had to move on pretty short notice (wife got a job in the next state). I tried to reply to your private message asking about this but was locked out of my account...probably because I was doing more lurking here than posting :*****slap2:

Yeah, the weight of these machines is the only real downside to this hobby...It just makes things complicated. I like to do things by myself, but sometimes you just have to ask for help. I gotta say, my shop crane has paid for itself many times over ;)

I took the table off my shop press replaced the jack with a come-a-long and used the frame to put my little rotex mill back together before I had an engine hoist.

Today was the day to install the side braces. That angle that joins to the doubled 2x4 posts was tough- it was about 70-75 degrees.

Here is a photo with the braces installed. The gantry is much more rigid.

004.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

001.jpg

After I was done, I realized I should have moved the braces in some to allow me to put stops on the ends of the bases. That will be for tomorrow.

004.jpg 008.jpg 007.jpg 001.jpg

Should have a block directly under the column also, since that's the concentrated load bearing area.

Should have a block directly under the column also, since that's the concentrated load bearing area.

Tony,

I don't follow where you are talking about.

What do you mean by "under the column"?

One thing for sure----when it comes to Gantries----You the Man:phew:

I meant the vertical pieces of 4 x 4. Unless they're there and I just can't see them. They should transfer the weight directly downward to the floor.

I meant the vertical pieces of 4 x 4. Unless they're there and I just can't see them. They should transfer the weight directly downward to the floor.

Oh, you mean the doubled 2x4 stud posts in the center. I put two 2x4 scraps under the ends of the base pieces to level things out, but I can put a scrap piece in the middle too. Actuallty, I found some casters with square steel mounting pads that I can screw onto the bottom of the base so the gantry can move. If I do that, I suppose I should add a scrap piece under the posts also.

I'd rather put the base on steel pipes and roll it under the gantry,than having to roll the gantry. You don't want a heavy,swinging load on the gantry!! Heavy,cast iron wheel casters from Northern would be plenty strong without much cost. 500# is nothing in the World of machinery. I'd continue to shift the base and assembled parts about on steel bars or pipes in any event. You just don't want to get a load swinging back and forth.

By the way: Those cheap comealongs are NOT recommended for lifting VERTICAL loads,just dragging horizontal ones. So,keep your body parts well outside of anything that could be dropped. Not saying you can't use them for vertical,just be very careful in case a ratchet or something lets go.

Back