Wohlhaupter fun

I was told that the Wholhaupter is made of Valyrian steel?

What do you all like for boring bars with these? Carbide inserts, brazed carbide or HSS? If insert, which style? I'll need to buy something.
Shars has these cheap stubby bars?
View attachment 454721
Check out Mesa Tools.

Check out Mesa Tools.
Thanks! I just bought that! Looks like it will work perfectly.

I have some of their boring bars. They are nice and work well.

Reactions: rwm
The Narex heads are also worth keeping an eye out for, but prices seemed to have gone a bit crazy these days. Most of the heads have interchangeable shanks, but the R8 shank is only available for the smaller Narex and Wohlhaupter heads. The Narex stop system has a screw adjuster to set the release tension, it needs to be set as light as possible so it feeds but kicks out when it encounters the stops. When I purchased mine used, the seller neglected to mention that the feed had been damage, the release tension screw was screwed all the way in so did not release and sheared the engagement pins. Parts for these heads are difficult to obtain and very expensive, so be sure that everything works before purchasing one.

My Narex head came with CCMT insert boring bars but I primarily use brazed (C6) carbide boring bars from Criterion, Morse or Borite. I would avoid the cheaper brazed carbide sets, the geometry is often incorrect.
Narex VHU Boring and Facing Head.jpg

The Narex heads are also worth keeping an eye out for, but prices seemed to have gone a bit crazy these days.
I have the identical head with the entire set of bars . One of my favorite tools to use . I have the mini Wohlhaupter head that I use with the tiny carbide bars also . I've owned these forever and can't seem to let them go . I do have an R8 Enco that wouldn't be missed .

This is from the Wohlhaupter manual, so similar to the Narex, it is very important when using the stop system to set the release pressure as light as possible to prevent damage to the feed drive system. The Wohlhaupter and Narex are definitely a step up from the Enco boring/facing heads, but these days they are rarely used and have been replaced with CNC.

1690220163725.png

Back