Wohlhaupter fun

Depending on the surface finish and timeframe you can do rudimentary facing with the criterion.

This can be as smooth or as rough as you like depending on the time you want to spend and your cutting tool profile.
Enco used to make a boring facing head that wasn't crazy expensive. I have one of those too. It's a smaller unit than the Wolhaupter. Works great.

What do you all like for boring bars with these? Carbide inserts, brazed carbide or HSS? If insert, which style? I'll need to buy something.
Shars has these cheap stubby bars?
1690127904079.png

I've got 3 B/F heads in the basement . Wohlhaupter, Narex and an Enco I believe . I've used the Narex and UPA 1 wohlhaupter many times and they work great ! Nice expensive tools . :grin:

What do you all like for boring bars with these? Carbide inserts, brazed carbide or HSS? If insert, which style? I'll need to buy something.
Shars has these cheap stubby bars?
View attachment 454721
I have some solid carbide boring bars that take ccmt inserts and lots of hss and cemented carbide boring bars from Borite and APT and such.

Those bars will probably work. I stuck with positive style inserts.

I just had a blast facing up to the shaft on this project. The stop is extremely positive. I was able to touch off on the shank and the stop didn't allow the tool to dig in at all. I used the opposite stop to feed back out. The rapid feed button does not pop out so I cannot rapid out all the way.

This video shows the facing cut all the way to the stop.

View attachment 20230723_133353.mp4

The tiny bit of a step is what's left of the area faced off. It is less than a thou. If it had to be perfect I would have left a finishing pass on the shaft.

20230723_141822.jpg

My Wolhaupter is old and has condition issues but I doubt I'll be able to wear it out. What an incredible tool.

The facing feature is truly amazing but completely unnecessary for basic boring.

We used to use them reworking combining gearbox on Fosdick Jig Grinders. Great for facing!
I used mine while making the gimbles for the Drones . Bores needed to be exact and faces had to be perpendicular for zero friction bearings .
I sold all my boring heads over the years and kept the boring/facing heads .

Back