Wohlhaupter fun

I have been looking at these. I assume you adjust the offset with that graduated collar at the top? What size is yours, WPA3?

FI have been looking at these. I assume you adjust the offset with that graduated collar at the top? What size is yours, WPA3?
I'm pretty sure mine is a WPA3.

Yes. There are two rings. The lower ring adjusts the diameter. The top ring engages the planetary gear to run the feed.

When you run in reverse it feeds in reverse. I just have to let go of the rod at exactly the right moment not to crash as I face up to the rod.

Typically these have travel stops and a disengagement system to stop the feed. I use a Narex, and one can also set the pressure at which it kicks out, but it can be a bit tricky to setup. I rarely use it, but handy when you cannot use a lathe.

Typically these have travel stops and a disengagement system to stop the feed. I use a Narex, and one can also set the pressure at which it kicks out, but it can be a bit tricky to setup. I rarely use it, but handy when you cannot use a lathe.
The travel stops on this one are effective but hard to get just right. It's moving slow enough that stopping at the right spot is doable. Maybe I'll try to use some shims to get it just right tomorrow.

Should I be looking at the Narex or the Wholhaupter??? I need it mostly for boring so I would probably be fine with a Criterion.

Should I be looking at the Narex or the Wholhaupter??? I need it mostly for boring so I would probably be fine with a Criterion.
The facing feature is truly amazing but completely unnecessary for basic boring. I have a Shars 3" boring head and a 2" Criterion. I'd definitely grab one of those if I didn't need the facing function.

Reactions: rwm
Saw someone pay $2250 a piece for a Wholhaupter and 2 Narex boring/facing heads at auction. Outside of MY budget!

Depending on the surface finish and timeframe you can do rudimentary facing with the criterion.

This can be as smooth or as rough as you like depending on the time you want to spend and your cutting tool profile.

Back