Wish they didn't close down the community college machining program

flip33

Registered
Registered
It would be fun to take classes and learn machining. It is too bad they closed down the local program. Maybe they thought there was no future in machining. Seems quite viable to me.

I like repairing and fixing things around the house, but lately I like making parts for my RC helicopter hobby. Also make things for my light sport plane.

Fortunately I have a friend with a pretty good shop. He builds experimental aircraft.

Have any of you folks found classes useful?

Ken

They eliminated the machinist program at our local community college also. I can't for the life of me figure out why. The news said that there is a huge demand for experienced machinist in our state yet there isn't a program to train them.
Threre's always going t be a need for machinists as long as they continue to make things that wear out or break. Very disappointing to see that go away.

Went to community college Vista, California. My employer paid for the course.

We made a spindle, parallels, dead center. I never used a lathe or mill before.

Was very interesting, the college had a 2 year machining program. Only attended
the first semester.

Some places, its mostly just book work, drawing, safety classes, very little machining.

Charl

Our jobs and hobby will become increasingly redundant as they perfect 3D printing.

There will always be a need for competent machinists, model makers and tool makers. If we ever expect to get mamufacturing back on shore in any volume we have to have good training programs starting in grade school with exposure to the field.

Shop programs shut down for two reasons 1) Liability. Junior gets a boo boo and mommy and daddy sue. If mommy and daddy had taught junior to pay attention and not grabass in class he/she wouldn't have gotten a boo boo in the first place. 2) Every mommy and daddy think their junior is the next bank CEO. Bull#(^t. We have enough of those clowns. I've worked with 'highly educated' management types. They may make 'big' money but when you get to know them their lives suck.

My head hurts, I have to go bash it into a wall.

I agree. Seems to be the same situation all over.

following comments a bit off topic, but related for sure

I retired as a Field Service Tech for a printing equpt manufacturer. In that capacity , thru the 70s - 80s I would visit High school print shop (IA) at many high schools offering the program. The programs were well populated, & the kids seemed to be interested. I always had a group around me asking lots of questions. ???

My next comments will probably raise fur for some readers here, but its the way I saw it.

I had the opportunity while there, to listen to the instructor lectures. At best ,I only saw 4 or 5 over the 25 yrs I worked that knew the subject. Pretty difficult to keep kids interested for a school year, when you don t know the subject. NOT SAYING all!!! but most for sure. Again Its the way I saw in the classrooms

Teachers: I have heard all the comments ............money, staffing, class sizes & I agree with you. Really I do! and yes its a tough job. Everyone s job is tough today. But... correct info, interesting subject matter should be the minimum in classrooms

Later in my career, I worked as a GM for a commercial printing company. My most difficult task, was filling production positions. Money was not the issue most times. I needed folks with a work ethic, basic printing skills & willingness to learn

Not looking to get into FF (forum fight) here...

...Was the way I saw it

anyone interested. a good read on the subject
"Shop Class as Soulcraft" an inquiry into the value of work
by Matthew B. Crawford

Hi All,

We are lucky here in the Seattle area where there are 2 community colleges still offering machining programs. They need to feed Boeing and related enterprises. Renton Tech. College is one, and Bates Tech. College is the other. Renton offers community ed on Saturdays in both manual lathe and mill. You choose one machine per quarter. While I would rate the instruction as average, I have still learned a ton. That combined with my self study (and joining groups such as this one!) is taking me where I want to go. While all the online resources and books, dvd, etc. are invaluable, nothing can replace formal instruction when possible.

RD2012

Went to community college Vista, California. My employer paid for the course.

We made a spindle, parallels, dead center. I never used a lathe or mill before.

Was very interesting, the college had a 2 year machining program. Only attended
the first semester.

Some places, its mostly just book work, drawing, safety classes, very little machining.

Charl

I do not wish to butt in, but I also wish there were classes available. I live close to Vista Calif, do you have in info on how you got into the class, webb site name or cost? Thanks, Jim.

One of the things that I think is a real tragedy: In the 70's there was such a push that you had to go to college or you would not be anybody in life - and people bought in on it .. to the point where trade schools enrollment dropped to where they could not stay in business. Not everybody is cut out for college - and certainly not at 18. Sometimes it helps you to get out there in the real world and figger out what it is you want to do. When the economy gets tough, the service industry becomes survivial for most companies, and there will always be a need for the trades. Apprenticeship programs used to be a vehicle for trades training, but there just isn't enough manpower to support the trades these days. I am a project engineer, but if I had not had some skills in welding and trades, I would not be doing what I am doing today. Kettinger used to be the training grounds for General Motors, if I remember right, and now it is a "university/college", but I have not heard anything about their trades work in 20 years. We put ourselves in this position; I hope we can return to some balance. I, too, do not want to get into a FF, but America needs a good labor pool, both in white and blue collar work (but I have a lot more fun in my shop than my office!). I know: opinions are like belly buttons, but if we want to bring work back to this country, we need to make it possible to develop our young people in the trades. OK, I will now shut up and go sit in the corner. Take care Guys.

Here in BC there used to be weekend non credit courses at the local community college that were cheap and excellent. Usually taught by somebody from the community for minimal pay. About 20 or 25 years ago they suddenly went pro and coursed jumped to about $600 for about 10 evenings. Obviously demand dropped of so the selection went to almost nothing. A few MIG welding courses, and sometimes a TIG course. No machining any more. They still have all the shop space for the apprenticeship classroom courses but you have to be an apprentice to get into those. Might have been an insurance issue as we seem to be following the US as fast as we can on that front.

Brian

Back