Will this work for parallels?

use jungle search and be patient.

Wow, never heard of Jungle Search! Thanks, I'll try that out. Even that 1/8" stuff you linked to is more $$ than the McMaster-Carr piece I originally asked about. But as this quest has gone on, one of the things that has come up is that even these "tight tolerance" pieces have a 0.000-0.005" tolerance in the width. So it would be a crapshoot as to whether or not I'd get something that was usable as a parallel. Even the cheapie LMS set that I have are 0.000-0.0001".

I'm not sure where you're looking, but $11inc. postage for 1 1/2ft of 1/8x3/4" D2 (or A2 or O1) is a pretty good price.

eg. https://www.mcmaster.com/88905K56-88905K132 = $32 before shipping.

The specs I founds are +/- 0.001". I generally struggle to work to less than 0.001" when milling and even on the lathe that level of precision is not trivial, so those specs are good enough for me. Only you can decide if you need better than that.

I need 1" wide. That's this one and it's $22.47. The specs say "Item Width Tolerance +0.000/-0.005 inches" That's the same tolerance of the 7/8" one you linked to.

Plus, it's 1/8" wide and they don't offer a 5/32" version of that one.

I agree with you and I'd take 0.001" any day and twice on Sundays. But that doesn't seem to be available in any tight tolerance precision ground stock.

you know it's funny as I actually looked up and read the ASTM 681 (?) spec sheet for precision ground tool steel as I wanted to understand what that tolerance meant. As far as I could tell it's a "to specifications" tolerance ie. if the piece is listed as 0.750" then it has to be within 0.749 and 0.751". It's not a paralellism tolerance or a "by length" tolerance, so it could be wavy by 0.002" all the way along and be in spec. I would guess though that what it really means is that if you order a 0.750" wide piece, it will be 0.749 or 0.750 or 0.751 all the way along the piece, but if you bought a second piece they only guarantee that it would be within 0.749-0.751, not that it would be the same width. As you're buying one piece and cutting it into smaller pieces, that doesn't matter.

The Amazon listing has ASTM 681 in there, so my guess is that the width tolerance they listed is an error or for larger widths.

As I said earlier, you need to be patient if you want to get the good prices. If you need it right now that can bump the cost. For me the total came to about what a cheap import set of 6" parallels costs, but I have more confidence in the parallelism and matching of the ones I made.

Back