Why no small high-quality lathes?

I think you make a valid point pWaller with respect to the economics. So if the question is still WHY then I concur. Technically tho the point Hanermo made is valid (not nonsense from the technical point of view) I think the topic of the thread is ripe to go a bunch of different directions as we have seen.

I think you make a valid point pWaller with respect to the economics. So if the question is still WHY then I concur. Technically tho the point Hanermo made is valid (not nonsense from the technical point of view) I think the topic of the thread is ripe to go a bunch of different directions as we have seen.

Depends on how small you want, plenty of good quality latehs coming out of Taiwan at reasonable prices. Sure there are not as many as used to be and higher wage countries can't compete. But they are still available, just not the range of brands.

The nonsense is that small high quality machines do not exist when indeed they do.
They are simply not inexpensive, Kent sells nice small machine as does LeBlond and Lagun. The Kent and Lagun appear to be the same machine with different branding

http://www.kentusa.com/lathes-2/manual-precision-series/ctl-618evs-manual-precision-toolroom-lathe/
http://leblondusa.com/rkl-1300-series-geared-head-lathe/
https://www.lagun.com/products/atv-618-tr-high-precision-metal-lathe/

This of course depends on what one considers small

One may buy many high quality small lathes, none of which are even remotely in the cost realm of a home shop, a 50 year old Hardinge 5" X 20" tool room lathe will will have a control cabinet larger then the machine and weigh well over 5000 Lbs.
The newest small one is 8" swing with a 6" chuck X 15 1/2" turning length and weighs 13,000 pounds.

If you want small and light Tsugami makes sub 12 MM machines, these you will not buy, they also weigh 6000 Lbs + for a maximum 12 MM machine.
Even in the past a very well made small lathe would weigh 2000 Lbs. You want something that does not exist.
Good luck

I believe Mr. Waller is correct. Generally "small" would be based on the work envelop - which of course is relative. I have quite a nice 11" swing lathe, only 24" between centers. In many, many environments - that would be considered pretty small. The base machine tips the weight scale at 2700 lbs. That does not make it "big". The work envelop is still only 11x24. It is a particular category of machine, built at a time when people, companies, businesses would pay for a high quality little lathe.

As others have pointed out, plenty of very nice, small work envelop lathes have been made over the years. The one I am referring to was made by Smart & Brown, but there are plenty of others.

When we talk in terms of quality machines we automatically exclude the concepts of cheap and light. A high quality lathe or mill etc. must have a very strong and rigid frame / bed. and the cost of making it to the precision required determines that it will not be cheap.

Hello everyone, my first post here, as I've recently purchased my first lathe, a Logan 820 from 1943. I restore and repair vintage fountain pens, need the lathe to fabricate replacement parts, and, frankly, it's a major step up in my game. I've been intrigued by the notion of having a lathe for some years, finally acted. I rejected the cheap Chinese ones because (even forgetting the samples in Harbor Freight) I tried a few and didn't like their feel. Since I'm working on delicate vintage pens, I had no issue going vintage, and finally located the 820, a 10x24 with a quick change, in Westchester County, not far from my shop in Manhattan. The real challenge for me is space: my shop is 11x11 in our Greenwich Village apartment, used to be my daughters' bedroom, so it had to fit into that space and leave sufficient room for me to work away from the lathe and have a working desk. It has made it in all right, and tomorrow I hope to do the final rearranging of furniture to make the space work. I'm still sorting out my cutting tools,though, so haven't done any turning except a couple of exploratory samples. This weekend...
good to be here!
20181106_233058 (1).jpg
Tim

Welcome to HM, Tim!

Given your space and the parts you need, did you consider a Sherline lathe? Might have been a good option. Anyway, congrats on the new Logan.

I did consider the Sherline, and it would've fit the room better, for sure. Frankly, a friend's seemed a bit lightweight and just didn't excite me. As I learned more, I realized that I am intrigued by the notion of working on substantial metal projects and needing more power and swing room.

Back