Why no small high-quality lathes?

Anyone see what they went for?
With 25 min to go I saw ~ $1000

I knew I wasn't bidding so did not watch the auction. I do know prices can and often skyrocket at the end. it really depends on the makeup of bidders. All the lots are closed and they don't list the final price in that site.
If any of our forum members scored one of these machines hopefully we see it and hear the bring it home adventure.

When I was watching it I thought I saw the final prices. For the V13's they averaged about $1500, unless I was seeing something other that final price.

Chinese lathes can be very good, it's just that the importers aren't bringing them over. Cheaper the lathe, more the profit. A lot of manufacturers make same basic lathe but the quality levels can vary widely. Almost 10 years ago, my son and I went together and bought a heavily discounted clearout 250mmx550mm (commonly but incorrectly called 10x22 ) at a local tool store, KMS, that they had had imported. This design is an improved copy of the Maximat8 . It has steel gears instead of plastic. It was pretty bare so I tracked down the maker and another importer, Lathemaster, to finish it out. That's when I found out most, like Grizzly were made by SEIG. These were merely assembled and show it. However XIMA lathes are carefully fitted . And the dials of the guys testing them showed that. In order for the XIMA to be competitive, they stripped it when they sold to KMS. Even with the heavy discount, when finished flushing it out, we ended up paying more than BusyBee/Grizzly. But we did it in steps.

I would like to say what a great little lathe it has been, but when my son moved out I told him I'll buy him out. He said "No dad, I'll buy you out." Now I have '92 Taiwanese DF1224g . The foot print isn't that much bigger. It will be a better lathe when I finish it.

Downwind, do ya have a link to the SEIG place? I need a gib and cross slide for my Grizzly 4003. Grizzly says " part in high demand" and currently out of stock. Really? A gib in high demand? What, everbody's gib wore out at the same time?????

A translation from green bear speak. "We have sold the one we brought in. If you order one, we will include it in our next shipment from that supplier" My parts were for a wood shaper. My wait time wasn't too far off delivery time on orders from China. Since they change suppliers, so model numbers will change and then parts become obsolete , it might be a good idea to get on it. I'm going to face that same nightmare with my Rong Fu mill/drill.

With demise of General, KMS took over the importing of the General International line of woodworking machines. When I was talking to one of the staff, he said they were going to do it right, 1/3 of the order was going to be parts. The leaner that parts %, greater the profits.

I think I still have a link to XIMA. But I only read about SEIG in passing, after all we had a XIMA. I found all this stuff through Google. When using Google you may have to ask a few times because the answers are different. It's a lot of reading. I never did find out who DF was on my DF1224g lathe (Grizzly and BusyBee imported them) .When my son moved out he bought out my share, and I replaced it with a used DF1224g, a belt drive back geared Taiwanese.

Good Luck
Ray

Last edited:
Emco manual lathes are no longer factory-supported. Parts are available sporadically on ebay and they tend to be expensive. The lathes are not bullet proof but they are nearly so and most Emco owners just make any part that breaks. Many of these lathes have run for decades without a problem.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1334363536&requestSource=b
Oh I wish I had the money to buy that lathe, it looks like it was hardly used, unfortunately is is priced way up there with the bigger size lathes.

$_59.JPG

Nice condition, Ken. There is no steady or follow rest and those are expensive to obtain. No mention of the change gear set or spare fiber gear and those are expensive as well. On the upside, that dividing head will go for near a thousand bucks all by itself; its basically a rotary table on a right angle fixture that comes with dividing plates. That lathe has the thread dial indicator and a carriage stop, both very nice to have. Overall, he is selling it for what it is worth, about $2800 USD.

Given the expense of the missing accessories I think I would go for a new, well outfitted PM lathe.

Given the expense of the missing accessories I think I would go for a new, well outfitted PM lathe.
That's most likely the logic everyone is using around here, why not buy a new PM for that price. the ad has been up on kijiji for a while now but the price has not dropped yet.

That's most likely the logic everyone is using around here, why not buy a new PM for that price. the ad has been up on kijiji for a while now but the price has not dropped yet.

The V10-P is a very good lathe. It was the largest lathe Emco made until they came up with the Super 11, followed by the V13. I think the price is not far from what it is worth but the lack of the steady/follow rests and the change gear set is a serious issue because to buy them on the used market is going to be expensive. These parts are no longer made and the guys selling them know what they are worth. Just the steady rest for my lathe, used, can go for up to $600.00. Stupid, yes, but that is the reality. Emco tended to sell just the lathe with a 3 jaw chuck on it and a couple of dead centers. The rest was Ala Carte and added up quickly so a fully tooled lathe like mine represents a sizable investment.

Fwiw..
Re: economics/quality/tir..
What happens is that a bigger lathe, say a 12x24 vs a 10x, will be much more rigid, and much more basically accurate, with the same basic manufacturing-quality level, IF it maintains the same mass/length, +/-.
This is why no small good lathes exist.

Nonsense

Small high accuracy well built machines are readily available today, you simply will not buy one.

One may buy a small machine for a fraction of the cost of a large machine that does the same type of work.
No one makes a small manual highend tool because the days of small manual lathes ended 50 years ago, Many of the small shops went to NC machines and sold all of the old manual tools, this was a real boon to Hobbyists at the time (the 70's). The manufacturers simply stopped making such machines yet there was still a small market for sub $5,000 machines.

There are many difficulties when a home shop machinist would like to buy a good quality small used machine today, basically all are CNC and have 30 year old controls for which parts are not available and if they are a single board may cost more then an entirely new manual machine made for the budget minded.

If people were willing to purchase highend manual machines rather then low cost manual machines someone would make them, this is not likely to happen in my lifetime.

Back