Why didn't anyone warn me about mag scales on the DRO?

Yes, I completely agree. I had a lot of trouble with my slim mag scale at the 1um resolution, not very repeatable and wouldn't calibrate, Ditron finally admitted that it might not (!). Then they said wait, we have a new 1 micron slim scale coming, but it's a bit more. So I paid up, waited, finally they said it had shipped. What I got was the old huge optical 5um scale. And they stopped answering my emails. I still don't know what they were thinking.

The 5um Z axis mag scale seems fine, but it's a lot more shielded from stray ferrous material. Also, I developed the mag strip, and saw that the transitions are pretty widely spaced, and read somewhere they have to interpolate 1000 steps between transitions. Can this be true? If so, it's easy to see how a stray chip could easily affect the reading.

So I have zero confidence in my 1um X axis scale, but fortunately the Takisawa has a large, accurate and easy to set and read crossfeed dial.

I am very anxious to learn that somebody has developed an optical scale the same size as the slim magnetic scale. Hope that happens.

I have both optical 5 and 1uM (Easson) on my lathe as well as magnetic scales 5uM (DRO Pros Electronica and SRA) on the tailstock and all 4 axis on the mill. They all checkout against 123 blocks as well as 0.0001" dial indicator within +/-0.0002". My magnetic scales are very repeatable, I have had no issues or false reading, and I checked the reader head with a small magnet moving it over the top and sides and the reading did not change. The SRA magnetic tape is the same for their 5 and 1uM scales, the only difference is the reader head resolution. The magnetic heads also came with calibration certificates and the maximum deviation was 2 microns. I know many forum members that have installed the Easson 12B/C and the DRO Pros with magnetic scales on their mills and lathes, and have yet to have heard any issues. Almost all the problems seem to be with the generic Chinese glass and magnetic scales, on the Ditron seems to be hit or miss as to them working. The one US dealer (Machine Tool Products) that I recall use to carry Ditron dropped their DRO's and now carries Aikron as their low end DRO with magnetic scales.

Glass scales tend to be more consistent in readings, but the less expensive ones have poorer seals. Magnetic scales may be more suspectable to quality control issues at this point, but like anything else these days the lower the cost ones seem to have more QC issues.

Encoder reading deviations are in uM vs. measured distance in MM
1693172475508.png

Thanks for the input so far, guys. I am interested to see if this inspires you to check your own machines, maybe it's just mine, but maybe it's an unnoticed problem. I did leave out lots of details initially, because I'm questioning all mag scales. Secondary to that is troubleshooting my machine- I can't use a scale I can't trust, that's a hard line in the concrete to cross.

You didn’t mention the readout fluttering while you were running the mill with the mag base stationary, only while you waved the mag base around. You also didn’t mention if your part was on size or not when finished. Does the readout flutter while the mag base is stationary and the table is moving? Or only when you wave the mag base around?

Tom
I squared my vise and calibrated the x and y to 1-2-3 blocks with a tenths indicator and a mag base on the head Saturday morning. I was consistently .0004 long (two steps) on y, so linear comp was applied and tested good. Removed the mag base and set up work. During work, I used a mag base for a chip shield. Part came out on size. When I was tearing down is when I saw the numbers flip like a slot machine, an obvious response to a moving magnetic field. The induction must be great enough to trip the trigger in the head, which surprises me. I don't know the effect on the display during power feed or just manual movement, it settles down when static.

What machine?

I wonder about decoupling the scales and read heads with some non ferrous or plastic would lessen this effect.

On my mini machines I have used magnets exactly twice and that was enough.

Seeing the material in the lathe chuck attract all the nearby chips and the same with the ring light on the mill was enough.

Too small/not enough mass for magnets to be used on them.
This is my Lagun FTV-3 mill, it has a 55x11" table and comes in at almost 4,000 lbs. Sh*t, I put it that way and I feel like an idiot for not going glass to begin with. Oh wait, I did order glass DC10 scales, says right here on my invoice from Ditron, but they sent me 5 mic magnetic. I've never been very excited about these, maybe that's why I never quite finished the job of installing it. The head is a Ditron D80, which I've gotten to like now that I understand it's features. If I trusted it completely, I'd like it more.

Yes, I completely agree. I had a lot of trouble with my slim mag scale at the 1um resolution, not very repeatable and wouldn't calibrate, Ditron finally admitted that it might not (!). Then they said wait, we have a new 1 micron slim scale coming, but it's a bit more. So I paid up, waited, finally they said it had shipped. What I got was the old huge optical 5um scale. And they stopped answering my emails. I still don't know what they were thinking.

The 5um Z axis mag scale seems fine, but it's a lot more shielded from stray ferrous material. Also, I developed the mag strip, and saw that the transitions are pretty widely spaced, and read somewhere they have to interpolate 1000 steps between transitions. Can this be true? If so, it's easy to see how a stray chip could easily affect the reading.

So I have zero confidence in my 1um X axis scale, but fortunately the Takisawa has a large, accurate and easy to set and read crossfeed dial.

I am very anxious to learn that somebody has developed an optical scale the same size as the slim magnetic scale. Hope that happens.

I believe that whenever two scales are read, interpolation of either scale becomes possible, with step counts and auto correction becoming possible using the reference track. I don't know so much about the implementation of such techniques in these systems, just what I can read about the technology in general on the web. I am okay with the realities of precision measurement. I have read and referenced the NIST-backed Guide to Uncertainty of Measurement in many papers, so I have realistic expectations of what I can measure and make in my shop, especially without producing some scrap to get there. On the mill, I'd be kidding myself and lying to you all if I claimed to own control over my work to any less than the .001 or .002 that these scales can measure reliably, in the wild, as installed. It's not about precision, it's about a vulnerability that could impact the worth of the numbers displayed on the screen.

I squared my vise and calibrated the x and y to 1-2-3 blocks with a tenths indicator and a mag base on the head Saturday morning. I was consistently .0004 long (two steps) on y, so linear comp was applied and tested good. Removed the mag base and set up work. During work, I used a mag base for a chip shield. Part came out on size. When I was tearing down is when I saw the numbers flip like a slot machine, an obvious response to a moving magnetic field. The induction must be great enough to trip the trigger in the head, which surprises me. I don't know the effect on the display during power feed or just manual movement, it settles down when static.
Am I reading this right? What you’re saying is the readout only flutters when you wave a magnet around? But not a problem if you if you lock down a magnetic base and don’t move it around while actually milling something to size? Practically speaking, is this really a problem?

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to get a feel for magnetic DROs.

Tom

Am I reading this right? What you’re saying is the readout only flutters when you wave a magnet around? But not a problem if you if you lock down a magnetic base and don’t move it around while actually milling something to size? Practically speaking, is this really a problem?

Not disagreeing with you, just trying to get a feel for magnetic DROs.

Tom
Yes, that's it. But I am not certain that it is unaffected, and that's the rub. If it's just annoying, I maybe can live with it, but it spooks me. It undermines my confidence in the instrumentation, makes me paranoid and suspicious. Oddly, it doesn't make me angry, it's more of a FFS type of thing. I'm just waiting for business to resume in China tomorrow night, and I'll order some 1 mic glass. Yes, glass can be affected by background gravitational fields originating from the big bang and from flying too close to supermassive singularities, but I think that's a limitation that is truly out of my control.

Gravity waves would affect your part the same way so there would be no error produced!

If you are following the other thread, I am having problems with a new Ditron DRO. My cross slide readings are off. The Ditron rep is now giving me some *******t like "a .002 inch error over 1 inch is normal for magnetic scales."

Yes, that's it. But I am not certain that it is unaffected, and that's the rub. If it's just annoying, I maybe can live with it, but it spooks me. It undermines my confidence in the instrumentation, makes me paranoid and suspicious. Oddly, it doesn't make me angry, it's more of a FFS type of thing. I'm just waiting for business to resume in China tomorrow night, and I'll order some 1 mic glass. Yes, glass can be affected by background gravitational fields originating from the big bang and from flying too close to supermassive singularities, but I think that's a limitation that is truly out of my control.

Don’t think you really need 1mic scales on a mill, but that’s up to you.

We had a scale on a mill that was funky, read or did not at random and no one wanted to use it.

That mill was taboo until the dro was replaced.

Okay, I'm not holding anyone accountable for this, I attended all of my physics classes sober so it's all pretty obvious. But I had something happen today that justifies dumpster slamming magnetic scales in favor of opticals.

There I was, milling away joyfully and producing a nice part today, when the hot blue steel curls became unbearable on my skin. I set up my chip shield and finished the part. As I was tearing down, I removed the mag base on my chip shield, an aging Starrett with a real weak pull. While moving with the magnet above the table, I noticed the displays fluttering everything to the right of the decimal place on my DRO. I cussed an incantation and waved the magnet all up and down around my mill, watching the numbers change. It would do it 24" away from the scale or sensor somewhat predictably as I moved it up, down, left, and right through the air over the table.

The mag scale readers are metallic and the cables are metal shielded. They may have ground loops, which would explain the sensitivity to the field. To be honest, I don't care why the DRO responds so much, it's the fact that the numbers change in response to a common mill table tool's presence that I can't abide. I don't run the mill on faith, I run it on confidence. If I have to rely on faith that the local magnetic fields are stable in order to make a part, I'm tapping out.

This has me on Alibaba measuring up for some optical scales right now. It's not sitting easy with me. Have any of you observed such a thing?

I did an experiment today on this topic and came up with similar results to yours.

These are a different type of scale than Youre and I had to get the magnet right near the rear head, but sure enough it drove the readings crazy.

I will post video later as I can’t upload it right now.

Different, more gauss resistant type of scale, and one was much worse than the other as it was more open and less surrounded by iron, but both were affected to a degree.

Are your scales tape or a true enclosed magnetic type scale?

I did an experiment today on this topic and came up with similar results to yours.

These are a different type of scale than Youre and I had to get the magnet right near the rear head, but sure enough it drove the readings crazy.

I will post video later as I can’t upload it right now.

Different, more gauss resistant type of scale, and one was much worse than the other as it was more open and less surrounded by iron, but both were affected to a degree.

Are your scales tape or a true enclosed magnetic type scale?

I'd say they are not enclosed, it's a sticky back tape stuck to an aluminum extrusion with a foil-thin stainless strip covering that.

I'd imagine getting close enough with a magnet would trip up any reader, but I get a lot of changing numbers waving a worn out weak magnet over 12" above the scale. I'm not complaining as if I stuck a neodymium magnet directly to the head, this is an issue with even small changes in the field, apparently.

Back