Why are my slots stupid?

Had a guy laugh at me for setting up and using a 4 flute 3/4" carbide taking a 5/8" deep cut. We needed to make 4 slots in a 1" plate for production as they were down. We lose roughly 10K per hour of profit at times like this.

I had the head turning 2500rpm and ran the feed as fast as it would go while spraying WD on it like a firehose. Carbide is very stiff, extremely sharp and slippery, mush slippery than HSS. So that coupled with the WD almost guaranteed it would not have chip weld issues.

My plates came out usable (Ie good enough but not brite shiny) and his came out perfect.

The difference? I knocked out 3 of the 4 plates needed in the time it took him to do one.

Not gonna lie, I made a hell of a lot of smoke and noise, but production does not care, they want things fixed.
I did mostly mill work in the film industry for 30 years. Much like you, I realized a long time ago to only make it a little better than it needed to be. I could turn out 3x the product by not wasting time on the bs that didn’t matter, knowing it would all end up in the dumpster anyway!

Back