[Newbie] Which to buy?

Now the hard part...to get the lathe in the house you would think it easy considering I live in a bungalow, but no. To get the lathe downstairs requires the fun of lifting it over a half wall into my kitchen, while suspending it above my countertop. Then it has to be lifted over a second half wall and passed to a second person standing on the stairs. Once downstairs it's just work it around a post, shoehorn it through the 28" door and get it set in the 48x50 room. Did I mention I have to sell a deep freezer we dont use that I'm told we may one day.

It honestly might be easier to go in a downstairs window, but each situation is different.

the 48x50 room

Is that entire room shop space?
I am wedged into a 20'x20' garage shop where I am typing from a balmy +2 deg. C. (34 deg. F. for our southern neighbours).
Sure it made moving the 11,000 pound milling machine in fairly straight forward, but I really need to be creative with storage.

-brino

Downstairs window wont work; And that 48x50 room is my tool room. Mind you I have a shed and a few shelving units full of tools and whatnots. We had the intention of converting the carport to a garage at year 5 in the house only to find out that our foundation was sinking just before. So garage is out.

Anyways back to the subject at hand. I'm certain that I can get it down there and
I would love a newer lathe but I also would rather one which stands the test of time. The question is which one?

1. a Myford ml7r without a gearbox with low hours of use and I have been able to locate metric gears.

2. a super7 with the gearbox at a cost of $350 cad more once the metric gears are factored in. The problem then is to locate a metric conversion kit for the gearbox as I will need both options.

3. a 10x22 used China manufactured unit with unknown hours priced between the Myford lathes.

4. Wait for a better option.

Don't but a Lathe without a Gearbox!

Just blow a big hole in a wall drywall is cheap...

Back