[Newbie] Which to buy?

If you can get the help, the Colchester Student will give you a lifetime of service...

I lean toward 'bigger, heavier, more rigid school... (at least I know I'm biased!)
At 600lbs ish between two people. I don't want to kill myself. 400lbs ok but that's pushing it.

I would choose an emco any day over any chinese lathe of similer size available on our shores.

I would, too, but only if it was in good shape. Buying a lathe that has seen 40 years of use just based on the brand name ... nah, not for me. I normally don't mind refurbishing stuff, having done it many times. However, buying a lathe with 40 years of wear and with hard to obtain parts that are expensive in used condition is not the best way to break into the hobby unless you're looking for a project.

I saw a Colchester student, but can't carry that downstairs. I have a hard length limit of 48" so that severely limits. Getting a new china made one is possible, but I would lose on the material size capability. From what I have seen.

If it was in good shape and you could fit it, I would take the 6.5 x 24 Colchester Student over a Compact 8 or any Myford lathe any day. Far heavier, far more rigid and powerful and far more capable. Assuming it is in fine condition, could you not hire riggers to get into your basement?

Anyway, my point was actually to make sure you thought about what features are important and what you're getting for your money. I would much prefer a quick change gearbox, camlock spindle, a shaft driven saddle feed and zero bed wear, even if it wasn't made in the UK or Austria.

Budget, space and unfamiliarity with machines makes choosing a lathe a difficult thing. Keep asking questions and think it through carefully before laying down the money.

I saw a Colchester student, but can't carry that downstairs. I have a hard length limit of 48" so that severely limits. Getting a new china made one is possible, but I would lose on the material size capability. From what I have seen.

The Chinese the 9x19 and 9x20 lathes (Jet, Grizzly, LMS etc) and are currently in production and supported and will match or exceed the size capacity of either lathe. The 9x's have a 3/4" spindle bore (same as Myford), the 10x's a 1" (so the same as the Myford "Big Bore).

The 10x22 lathes fit into your stated space (44" long, 360lbs) and a 10x30 is 4" over (52") if you have any wiggle room at all. A 10x22 will clearly offer more capacity than the either the Emco or Myford.

Shortbed Logan 9-12" or Atlas 9-12" lathes will have greater to much greater capacity than either lathe and are fairly plentiful on the used market. Both are less than 48" in length (43" or less) and weight around 400-500lbs (10"). Parts are still available for both.

You have been vague about the price so no idea budget wise where these machines fit with your options.

Max max budget is $2000 CAD tax in. And the biggest size I need to work on is about 6". The colchester I saw was very close to this. Most of the atlas machines I have been seeing look rather abused. The emco I was looking at I passed on. The Myford at the moment seems to be the best option because I know it has been looked after. The guy is a Myford collector but has too many.

The Myford Super 7 is a cult lathe in the UK. There is a huge installed base and knowledge base available. Little changed since 1953. No problem with spares and upgrades.

Watch out for overseas clones as the lathe was widely copied. .

@decisionsdecisions

First, welcome to the group! It's great to see another local hobbyist here.

Second, if moving the lathe becomes the deciding factor I'll offer my help. I have a truck, come-along, engine hoist, bars, slings, etc.
The more notice I have the better we'll be able to set something up.

PM me if you wish to get in touch.
(aka "Private Message", just hover your mouse over my username and select "Start conversation")

-brino

@decisionsdecisions

First, welcome to the group! It's great to see another local hobbyist here.

Second, if moving the lathe becomes the deciding factor I'll offer my help. I have a truck, come-along, engine hoist, bars, slings, etc.
The more notice I have the better we'll be able to set something up.

PM me if you wish to get in touch.
(aka "Private Message", just hover your mouse over my username and select "Start conversation")

-brino
I appreciate the offer, but I'm in Canada to start. Plus its more a matter of...lets call it "shoehorn limitations". You see the only spot I have requires reworking 3 rooms to make the space. Additionally my wife isnt keen on the idea, but is coming around plus I have made a good business case.

Now the hard part...to get the lathe in the house you would think it easy considering I live in a bungalow, but no. To get the lathe downstairs requires the fun of lifting it over a half wall into my kitchen, while suspending it above my countertop. Then it has to be lifted over a second half wall and passed to a second person standing on the stairs. Once downstairs it's just work it around a post, shoehorn it through the 28" door and get it set in the 48x50 room. Did I mention I have to sell a deep freezer we dont use that I'm told we may one day.

I'm happy with a benchtop lathe for now, but needless to say I'll be ponying up for some premium beer for this lathe move.

Back