[Newbie] Which to buy?

decisionsdecisions

Registered
Registered
I am going to be buying my first lathe, but only have a limited space. I have narrowed down the options to the following but am torn. I have an immediate need for small things, but can see myself eventually wanting do make things in the 6-8" range.I have the current options of:
  1. Emco compact 8
  2. Myford ml7 with 10 hours (50% more cost)
  3. Myford super7 with gear box (double the price of 1.
I have to go with a benchtop only have 48" width to work with it.

Consider condition, tooling and power requirements.
Availability of parts or parts machines will eventually be a factor.

Daryl
MN

When I had my Logan I really appreciated the ability to call Scott Logan and ask questions and buy parts.

Tooling and condition?

Daryl
MN

The Myford super 7 seems to be the backbone of the English hobby machining world - people like 'em.

Myford parts and accessories can be pricey if available. I have an ML7 clone that I had to rebuild because it was butchered, but it was all I could afford at the time.
If the emco has all its accessories (steady rest, etc) and is in good shape it would be a no-brainer at half the cost.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Emco no longer supports the Compact 8. All parts will come from the used market, mainly ebay. Cost varies with demand and parts availability depends on someone parting out a lathe. The Compact 8 is a really nice little lathe but it is a change gear lathe so you'll be changing gears when screw cutting. Thus, you will need the complete change gear set. Emco also made a thread dial indicator; this fits the Compact 8 and the Maximat 7 lathe. A steady and follow rest were available. About the only part you have to make is a carriage stop; Emco never made one for the Compact 8. This was the lathe the Chinese cloned to produce the ubiquitous 9x20 class lathes because it was so well designed.

The original yellow ones were built in Austria to a DIN tool room standard so it is well made. The later ones that are not yellow (red and black) are made in China and are still produced. Parts for the Chinese-made machines are still available and some parts interchange.

I did most of the restoration of a Compact 8 so I know it is as nicely put together as other Emco lathes. I have not seen a Myford so have no comment there.

Sears actually sold the compact 8 (the good Austrian one) under the Craftsman name way back when. I believe it was grey and black.
Tough choice, both the Emco and the Myford are great small lathes
mark

Super 7 comes with
original Owner's manual
  • face plate (aftermarket)
  • Bernerd 4-jaw chuck
  • Bernerd 3-jaw chuck x2
  • gear set
  • drill chuck
  • live center
  • some tooling
10 hours use owned by a myford fanatic