Which Surface Grinder?

Another grinder to consider would be an Okamoto . I've run some good ones as well as a few that would miss the reversing stop once in a while .

Another thing to consider is that a surface grinder and other grinding machines fling not only chips off the work piece, but also grit from the grinding wheel, and it goes everywhere unless it is contained. It is best to put those machines in an area separated from the machines you want to keep clean and grit free. There are various ways of getting it done besides having a separate room, but then there are also some issues with covering things adequately or whatever else you are using to keep the grit out of things that do not want it. Think ahead about all the realities of what you are planning... Grinders, belt and flat round grinders including surface grinders and many others. Think about getting all the gritty tooling in a place where the grit stays there only.

EDIT: It should be noted, my shop is small at 17x34 and a large portion of that is taken up my a 4x8 work table. Also it should be noted, that a completely manual grinder is fine, unless I find a smoking deal on an automatic one.
Many of us on this forum would consider your shop quite large in size, compared to what they are currently making do with... However, I also see that you are using larger machines, not mini ones. Best wishes and good luck with how you get it set up for yourself! How about posting before and after pics at some point?

Most of the 6 x 18 grinders take up about the same amount of space.
Machines like the Parker Majestic are all cast iron vs many grinders that sit on a sheet metal stand.
The Chevalier is a name on a Taiwan machine, they are sold with the same casting and different names applied.
Some grinders have a vacuum in the base or mounted externally to minimize the "dust"

Many of us on this forum would consider your shop quite large in size, compared to what they are currently making do with... However, I also see that you are using larger machines, not mini ones. Best wishes and good luck with how you get it set up for yourself! How about posting before and after pics at some point?
When I look at guys like Keith Rucker, my shop is itty bitty. :) 17x34 sounds "big" but once you start putting stuff it in it, it's gets cramped awful quick.

Most of the 6 x 18 grinders take up about the same amount of space.
Machines like the Parker Majestic are all cast iron vs many grinders that sit on a sheet metal stand.
The Chevalier is a name on a Taiwan machine, they are sold with the same casting and different names applied.
Some grinders have a vacuum in the base or mounted externally to minimize the "dust"
Thanks. I'd prefer a vintage US made machine. I'll cross Chevalier off the list of potentials.

Here is the post(s) I made in rebuilding my Brown & Sharpe 2L surface grinder and how I found a place for it in that previous shop I had.
Now I am currently down to a dinky 2 car garage jammed with good stuff I would like to get working for me again...

Last edited:
That looks like a nice machine. Might be a little bigger than I'd want to get into my shop. I like the size of the Boyer Schultz Six Twelve, which, size wise, I think would fit nicely in the corner of my shop.

HGR currently has a Parker Majestic on 'last chance'..

Screenshot_20220122-030658_Chrome.jpg

I don't know anything about the condition, but it looks like it's in decent shape...

-Bear

I'd have to go look at it. They're 20 minutes from me. But I'm not sure I'm ready to pull the trigger anytime soon.

Back