Which Surface Grinder?

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have been toying with the idea of adding a simple surface grinder to my small home shop. Don't ask me why, I just feel like I should have one. :) I've seen a few come up for sale locally that are fairly low priced - which might just be a clue that they are a mess.

In any case, I would not shy away from a bargain, even if it is a "project." Saying that, are there any particular brands or models of surface grinders that I should look at or stay away from? I would imagine that some of them, finding special replacement parts that aren't easily remade might be difficult.

Some of the brands I know about:

• Parker Majestic
  • Brown & Sharpe
  • Hammond
  • Clausing
  • Harig
  • Chevalier
  • Acer
  • Covel
  • Gallmeyer & Livingston
Any input would be appreciated.

EDIT: It should be noted, my shop is small at 17x34 and a large portion of that is taken up my a 4x8 work table. Also it should be noted, that a completely manual grinder is fine, unless I find a smoking deal on an automatic one.

I should also add, I have an affinity for vintage machinery, ie circa WW2.

Last edited:
First, how much room do you have (or can reorganize the shop to make room for a surface grinder) in your "small home shop" for a surface grinder? Next, is there a specific size for a needed magnetic chuck or other hold down? Remember that the space will have to also allow room for the table to move at least the size of the chuck (with most machines...). What power will you be able to reasonably supply to run the grinder? This information will help to keep us from sending you options that you have no current use for...

First, how much room do you have (or can reorganize the shop to make room for a surface grinder) in your "small home shop" for a surface grinder? Next, is there a specific size for a needed magnetic chuck or other hold down? Remember that the space will have to also allow room for the table to move at least the size of the chuck (with most machines...). What power will you be able to reasonably supply to run the grinder? This information will help to keep us from sending you options that you have no current use for...

I updated the original post with my shop size. I am still in the process of figuring some of that out. I do not have 3 phase but plan to purchase a rotary phase converter once I figure out just how big I want - probably a 10hp will suffice my needs and my budget.

Part of the reason for reduced prices on surface grinders is the development of tooling that can perform SOME of the operations or reduce the need for some operations that used to require a surface grinder.
Finish and accurate sizing.
So a lower priced machine might not be bad just not used.
I have a Boyer Shultz Six Twelve when your ready for a grinder and I am reasonably close to you.

I'm a fan of Harig, but that alone doesn't mean much.

Where are you going to put it? If you need to move it into a basement then weight and "take-apart-ability" will be very important.

Compare these two 6x12 grinders:
(I'm using HGR listings because they have decent photos and include the weight, not endorsing either of these machines.)

The Chevalier weighs 1325 lbs. You can easily remove the chuck and table, and probably the saddle and spindle/motor assembly. But the rest of the machine is integral with the base, and will be a very tall and heavy lump to move. The Harig weighs 830 lbs. Again, you can easily remove the chuck, table, spindle/motor, and saddle. Then the grinder itself lifts off of the cabinet base. The column assembly is probably around 400 lbs and less likely to tip over while being moved than the complete machine.

Also, there are some small Taiwan made machines that might be a good choice. Something like this:
At 700 lbs total and very easy to disassemble they are a good choice for a basement shop. I have one that looks almost identical to the one in the pictures, but "Targa" brand (like this https://surplusrecord.com/listing/6-x-12-targa-612-manual-surface-grinder-magnetic-chuck-206635/ ) I was able to get it into the basement by myself. It has ball ways and a rack and pinion drive with a spiral pinion (note the angled shaft) for smoothness. I get very good results with it, but I'm moving up to a Harig 6x18 because I want the larger work envelope. I got the Harig at a "you suck" price, but it needs a bit of work. When I get it refurbished I'll swap it out and sell the Targa.

If you are looking at a Harig, make sure the oil pump works. Replacements are available but aren't cheap. The fact that it has a pump and positive lubrication rather than just a one-shot lube or oil ports is a good thing.

I'm a fan of Harig, but that alone doesn't mean much.

Where are you going to put it? If you need to move it into a basement then weight and "take-apart-ability" will be very important.
My shop is attached to the back of my garage. I have a 7x9 garage door on one side of it. It was originally going to be winter storage for my Jeep, but then I bought a lathe and now the Jeep stays in the main garage and my truck has to deal with the snow. Oh well. :)

So weight is not an issue unless it's 7,000 pounds.

I had a 6x18 Parker Majestic that was absolutely magic. A big beast though, weighed 1800 lbs and consumed a lot of floor space; the absolute foot print was about 32" wide by about 40" deep plus more on each side for table travel.
It has a 3-ph 440v 1 hp motor. I ran it off a 110v VFD just fine.

I have a B&S #2 oldie, but pretty solid, not too much floor space. It wasn't very expensive, though I got it in a bundle, maybe it was around $600. It's manual, works very smoothly, and it came with a B&S 6x18" mag chuck. Seems to have a ton of vertical height. It's marked with ticks spaced widely at half thousandths, seems pretty feasible to adjust by tenths.

I have a B&S 618 MM out in the garage . It's a heavy machine and takes up alot of space as well , but it's a nice machine .

I would be leery of well used or not well-maintained machines. Once the ways get worn it is hard to do precision work. Not to say you can't have the ways reground, but why go through all the work when you can just buy a machine in better shape.

Back