Which Stop?

I'm with projectnut, make your own. They're an excellent project. I have a table stop that I made back in the 80s and a jaw stop of more recent manufacture. Planning to make one to bolt to the back of the vise. It will use the same clamps and stop rod from the table stop.
I can't recall ever wishing I could swing the stop out of the way.

He's talking about this style. For that style it would make sense to be able to have it swing out the way when not needed. Still it should be easy to make without any plans needed.

Pro-Vise-Stop-Double-Side-by-_1.jpg

Yeah, I could make one, but Edge Tech uses some kind of nylon bushing or something. I guess I don't need to duplicate that.

Yeah, I could make one, but Edge Tech uses some kind of nylon bushing or something. I guess I don't need to duplicate that.

Are you taking about the stops still or the indicator holder? My mill stop does not have a plastic bushing. There's no mention of a bushing on their stops, only the indicator holder. Makes sense to have it on their indicator holder but not the stops.

You are correct. I was thinking of the indicator holder.

For the budget minded, if you have a mill clamp set you can just use a tee nut, stud, clamp, and some nuts and washers to cobble together a "free" t-slot stop.

Okay, I got the time to give this a try. I mostly have aluminum stock, not too much steel stock. Okay to use?

finsruskw: It looks like your stop is aluminum, correct? I like your design, but after you clamp it down on the table, how do you adjust the exact length?

@devils4ever a small mod may be to offset the hole for the horizontal rod and through-drill and tap. Then thread the rod as necessary.

Here's one that's pretty simple to make, just a couple of bucks for drill rod and aluminum scraps. I got fancy and added the levers (I'm lazy), but cap screws would work just as well. Not pictured, but I made a stop collar so that it can be swung out of the way, and then returned to the same place on the x-axis.

IMG_20200318_150803.jpg

IMG_20200318_150846.jpg

Back