Which Stop?

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I need a stop for my mill. I'm looking at purchasing an Edge Technologies stop unless someone has another brand suggestion.

They sell both a vise stop (bolts to my Kurt 4" vise?) and a mill stop that attaches to the T-slots. I'm looking for pros and cons of both.

Currently, I'm thinking that the mill stop is more flexible since it doesn't need a vise and has greater range. Although I'm thinking this isn't as accurate as the vise stop.

Comments?

I own both and I need both. For parts that fit fully in the vise, the vise stop works fine. For parts that are larger than the vise, the one that attaches to the table works better. I also own the one that clamps onto the top edge of the fixed jaw and that one is really useful for work that fits inside the confines of the jaw. I also own a Kurt 4" and use these stops often. They are well made, easy to adjust and use and are reasonably priced for what they are. You will be surprised at how large they are.

I drilled and tapped the side of the vise, and use an Aloris tool post stop, they are simple and easy to make as a project, just look for a catalog illustration.

I agree with Mike, I own both the Vise Jaw Stop & the Pro Mill Stop. They have an articulating one now but I have no experience with it as it wasn't available when I made my purchases. Others made a similar style too though. I don't have the Vise Pro Stop. Both types have their advantages & I use them the same way as Mike depending on the size of the part.

If you can only buy one I'd get the table mounted one as it can cover what all the others can do. The Vise Jaw Stop is quicker to use for small parts, it's only $20 though so might as well get it while you are at it.

I was talking about the "Pro Vise Stop Single Side" model for $49.99. I just noticed the "Vise Jaw Stop" for $19.99. I already have the stop that comes with the Kurt vise so the latter stop is redundant, I think.

EDIT: later -> latter

Man, they have so many types now I got confused with all the names. I edited my post, hope I got em right. But if not, these are the ones I have. I use them often & I'm very happy with them.

20190509_184607.jpg20190214_182159.jpg

I was talking about the "Pro Vise Stop Single Side" model for $49.99. I just noticed the "Vise Jaw Stop" for $19.99. I already have the stop that comes with the Kurt vise so the latter stop is redundant, I think.

EDIT: later -> latter

I didn't go with the one that mounts on the back of the vise cause I felt the table one would be more versatile for any size part & I could use it with any size vise.

You might want to think about making a couple work stops as a projeect rather than purchasing them.

I made a table stop like this probably 35+ years ago and it still works fine. It was a good project on a slow day.

You can make it from scrap and it shouldn't take much time.

I also made a vise stop like this:

I think it took all of half an hour, including time out for a cold one.

Thanks for everyone's input.

As for making one myself, I could but I like that fact that the Edge Tech stops swing out of the way. I think that could be a very useful feature. Are there plans for building one that swings out of the way like the Edge Tech ones? What do they use for the joints to keep everything precise and tight? The ads says something about "proprietary friction technology". I have their indicator holder and really like it.

Seems that the table mounted one is a little more flexible since it can be used with and without the vise. Plus, the vise version bolts to the back of the vise limiting Y travel a little.

I may just wind up buying both.

The arm just uses a SHCS, loosen/tighten to move it. The clamp & depth rod are held in place with nylon tipped set screws.

Back