Which Live Center?

I've had great luck with Royal!!

Aukai, 911? If I may ask? What do you do?
I'm a, well was a full time Paramedic, then Paramedic Instructor at a community college, now back to part time Paramedic.
Still do volunteer fire, well... for a very little while yet.
Working on complete retirement.

Daryl
Old and broken....
MN

Nice to meet you, I helped with a few classes, but never got into teaching in the classroom mode. The "KIDs" like to work with me though. I did 6 years airport crash fire/structural, left that as an operator. I've been on the road for 38 years as a paramedic, just gave my 2 year notice for retirement. I want to work on things that don't bleed, unless it's me, and I hate wood.

Aukai,
All sounds familiar....
I look forward to many posts from you!

Daryl
MN

Good Luck, not an inexpensive hobby, neither is high end postal stamp collecting, go figure.

I truly enjoy the discussions about "They Don't Make Things Like They Used To", there are almost always products that are well made and will last a lifetime like the 'Old Days", these are expensive however.
We live in a disposable goods world, why buy one expensive product that will last 10 years when you can replace it with 5 inexpensive products that live for 2 years, also the kitchen appliances will have gone out of style so you will need to replace them anyway. I am sure that you know at least one person that will regale you with the story of their parents fridge that has been in operation since 1965, (I was born in 1959 by the way) exactly how many of todays consumers would even contemplate keeping a kitchen appliance for 10 years let alone 40. Why would a manufacturer design and produce a product that will last 20 years whilst knowing that the consumer will discard it in less then 10 years when it becomes unfashionable.

Can you say Corian?

Machine tools took a slightly different route to the present, in the distant past all machines were manual, there were thousands of small shops across the country that bought hundreds of thousands of small lathes and milling machines, this was a viable market for the manufacturers of such tools. As machine tool technology improved with NC in the 60's the companies that embraced it thrived and those that didn't not so much. This led to many tool manufacturers closing shop.

Can you say Bridgeport?

The ones left standing see little market in manual machines , this leaves the hobbyist in quite a quandry, should I buy a $5000.00 manual lathe made in Asia or a $30,000.00 Haas tool room lathe that is difficult to operate as a manual machine.
There appears to be no middle ground.

Say W W, I just had this conversation about refrigerators, my 5 year old fridg took a dump. I remember having refrigerators that had to be repainted at least once, then as it aged more, it was put out in the garage for beer, and still kept on going. I'm circa 1953.

Aukai, take a hard look at this Royal Tri-bearing live center on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROYAL-PRODU...211995?hash=item361d06b1db:g:RpgAAOSwOgdY0FPQ

This is an older model of their high speed centers and is permanently lubricated. It has the standard 60 degree point that is supported by 3 angular contact bearings and a needle bearing at the far end of the tip. If I recall correctly, these had a max load of over 150#. The listing says it's used but I see no sign of it having ever been installed in a tailstock. The price is not unreasonable for a good live center.

The next step up would be a quad-bearing live center that is considerably more expensive but has a higher work load rating.

Royal centers are in the top tier of live centers. Unless abused, this one will probably last you the rest of your lifetime.

Thank you for the link Mike, any drawback to a short nose live, or is that a non issue. That is a good deal.

The vast majority of your work will be done with a standard 60 degree nose. It has the most mass and will deflect less. The extended nose like the CNC centers use are very useful for smaller diameter work. Both have their uses and Royal makes an exchangeable tip live center so you switch between them at need; these are super-expensive. I own the exchangeable tip one but I know that about 95% of the time I use the standard nose so for your first center, I would go for a standard configuration.

Great thank you

No problem, and congrats on the new lathe and welcome to HM!

This is, by far, the friendliest forum on the net. Ask, learn, share and enjoy.

Mike

Back