Which Live Center?

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Being out in the boonies I use Amazon for a lot of things, and I'm looking for a good quality MT3 live center for my lathe. I have looked at 3 brands that I know nothing about, and I would like to know if they are any good before I buy. If I need something better I'm open to suggestions. Thank you for looking.

Steelex M1066 MT No.3 Heavy Duty Live Center

https://www.amazon.com/LIVE-CENTER-...rd_wg=Ijmn1&psc=1&refRID=PV6ZX2GJ6RMCKYMF1P7V

https://www.amazon.com/HHIP-3900-50...rd_wg=b1jAA&psc=1&refRID=VGRWAB5T03S30DV9V84Q

For me personally, I would stay away from those inexpensive generic live centers. You get what you pay for & often with the cheap stuff eventually you'll end up buying again. But if it's something you won't use very much or for very light duty they may last a while, quality on the other hand is up in the air.

I use Skoda live centers & they're good bang for the buck. But a new one will put you in the $150 range. You can find good used ones on ebay for under $100 from time to time. To give you an idea, I sold my older model Skoda MT3 here earlier this year for $75 & it was in excellent condition.

I also have a couple of live centers from ZLiveCenter & I am happy with them but the ones I have are from their high model lines.

But if you have to go with one of those 3 choices, I would go with ZLiveCenter, they as a company/vendor are awesome, great customer service should you have a problem. HHIP is not bad either but when it comes to those generic models I'm not sure if the quality on any of them from those vendors would be much different.

I agree with darkzero.
However, we also recognize that personal finances and frequency of use is a real thing.
I've used a little import MT2 on a hobby lathe for many years it's held up very well under light use.
However, I wouldn't consider purchasing same for my larger machines (MT4 & MT5).

Consider comparing and contrasting all the specs.

Daryl
MN

Thank you gentlemen....

OK I'm expanding my view. Would I need to keep looking, also I usually go to vendors direct not ebay. I do not have experience yet for what vendors to stick with, but was looking at these. I almost had a bodily accident when I looked at Riten first, but regained my composer with the other two . Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ADDE0M?psc=1

http://www.ajaxtoolsupply.com/skheducenewl2.html

Don't always rule out ebay & don't always trust Amazon. I have those 2 very same live centers, except the ZLC I have in MT2 & use with a MT3 sleeve..

That ZLiveCenter on Amazon $166.95 + $10.89 shipping. Buy directly from ZLiveCenter for $152.95 + $13.95 (shipping may vary)

I have that same Skoda MT3 live center purchased from Ajax as well but through ebay. Ajax's website, $174 + $11.89 shipping (shipping may vary). On ebay, Ajax has them "on sale" for $139 + $12 shipping. I've purchased a number of things from Ajax, even one of my Bison Set Tru chucks, Rocky is a good seller but his prices are usually cheaper on ebay.

FYI, if you purchase the Skoda live center from Ajax, you will not receive what's pictured. Pictured is the older model in black. You will receive the new updated version drop shipped directly from Sowa like pictured below. That is a good thing but if you purchase an older model elsewhere I would not be concerned as you probably wouldn't be able to tell a difference in use.

Don't rule MSC either if you have been a long outstanding customer or have a merged Enco account. Often my prices with MSC is cheaper than ebay or Amazon. The Skoda MT2 live center I got from MSC much cheaper than anywhere else I could find. IIRC the MT3 was cheaper at MSC as well but that was my fault for not checking before I purchased from Ajax.

You think Riten is expensive, check out Royal. Rohm also makes some nice live centers, still more than I would want to spend though.

img_20170202_131519_943-800x622-jpg.225931

I got this Royal live center from eBay for 100 bucks. The least expensive one I saw go for little over 200 new. It is a Royal value line, but has excellent spec.

Screenshot_20170819-163546.png

20170819_200309.jpg

Thank you for the responses, it is appreciated. Working 911, I have some time to research......If it stays quiet.:rolleyes:

I will say that a Royal product has never let me down, however it is often cheaper to buy 5 inexpensive tools and scrap them every year then buying 1 high end tool that will last for 5 years of constant use.
I realize that it is difficult for a hobbyist to justify buying a $700.00 live center for use in a $2500.00 machine yet often the work demands it, the difference in performance can be quite obvious in use, one must flip the Cost/Quality coin and only you can make that decision.

Wise words, I am fighting that dragon now with startup costs adding up, which I have expected, but need to pick, and choose carefully.

Back