Which 5C Collect Chuck to go with?

Thank you guys.... I ended up ordering the one from Precision Matthews... at 1/3 of the price of the Bison, I just could not justify paying so much more for the Bison (as much as I wanted to get it)...
I think you will be happy with it, and can upgrade at a later date if necessary. The only parts of the PM chuck with questionable machining have no impact on its performance. I originally wanted a Sjogren style quickie, but the cost was too much and I couldn’t find anything used for a decent price. The set through feature is really nice and a must have in my opinion for a collet chuck. The better quality units might not need it as much, but nice to have.

I bought an extension to use on my air ratchet, but haven’t tried it yet (I need to machine the flats a bit to fit). The only time I need to crank a lot is changing collets, when doing multiple workpieces, it’s just a couple turns and the part is loose enough to remove.

I think you will be happy with it, and can upgrade at a later date if necessary. The only parts of the PM chuck with questionable machining have no impact on its performance. I originally wanted a Sjogren style quickie, but the cost was too much and I couldn’t find anything used for a decent price. The set through feature is really nice and a must have in my opinion for a collet chuck. The better quality units might not need it as much, but nice to have.

I bought an extension to use on my air ratchet, but haven’t tried it yet (I need to machine the flats a bit to fit). The only time I need to crank a lot is changing collets, when doing multiple workpieces, it’s just a couple turns and the part is loose enough to remove.

As soon as it gets here, I will do what you did... I will do a teardown to inspect, clean, deburr anything needing attention, and grease with quality stuff...

Thanks again for your thread.

4 out of the last 4 chucks that I have bought are Polish (2 TMX 12” chucks, and 2 Bison 5C collet chucks). I have been very happy with the craftsmanship.

Cleaned... some deburring needed in a few holes... the backplate had some dirt in the threads where the pins go in... that was it... Feels better now, but that is probably just in my mind...

IMG_4379.jpeg

Cleaned the grease and used some quality stuff... all back together.

IMG_4380.jpeg

IMG_4381.jpeg

All boxed up and ready to take it to the other house tomorrow night... will install and take photos installed on the lathe...

Last edited:
Back