Which 5C Collect Chuck to go with?

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I reading the post from @Ischgl99 on his tare down of his PM 5C Collect Chuck

I was looking at this one as well for my Grizzly G0709.

After reading that thread, I am wondering if I should go for it or just save up for the Bison 5C collect chuck with the D1-5 backplate mount...

I then started to look for other options and now I am undecided... Should I save a lot more and go with one of those quickie 5C chucks??

350.00 for Precision Matthews 5C collect chuck with the D1-5 mount

PM 5C-Chuck-with-Adapter-Plate-D1-5-Front.jpeg

1,146.00 for Bison T10414 - 5-C Collet Chuck D1-5 mount EDIT: The one sold by Grizzly is not Set-Tru. Recommendation is that it needs to be a Set-Tru model : Chuck Part Number 7-862-0505 and D1-5 Adapter Part Number 7-875-055

Bison 5C Chuck.jpg

1,546.00 for Atlas PB23-00 Front Mount Hand Wheel Quickie 5C Collet Chuck D1-5 mount

PB23-D5_PT8.jpeg

Last edited:
I have had both types, love the one with the large ring on the outside, Sjogren Speed Manual Collet Chucks the other is a pain to use.

The Atlas type is nice to use but expensive and a set tru feature is important enough that I bought the Bison. The downside is that it takes a million turns of the key. I made a key for my electric drill and keep it on the lathe when using collets. I do the final tightening by hand but the drill does most of the work until then. I would not buy a collet chuck with a key unles it had a set tru type adjustment. Dave

Do any of collet chucks give through the spindle capability? If not, find a spindle nose 5c adapter and make a handwheel draw-tube. I've used the type like the Atlas (believe it was a Sjogren). They are very nice, but I had sore hands by the end of the day.

I did... here is the link to my thread/post on that... But no bolt on solution available for my lathe... It was after looking into that option that I decided to go with a 5C chuck setup instead...

Have you looked into the possibility of getting a 5C draw bar lever collet closer set up for your lathe? It allows faster parts changes, just a lever throw to open and close the collet.

View attachment 394918

MSC lever collet closer

This would be my first choice.

I have had a number of 5C chucks, current is the Bison. I use a speed handle which speeds up collet changes. Performance accuracy wise I do not feel there would be any difference between all the choices. I know people that have the PM 5C set-true style chuck and measured the TIR/variance and it was very small at the inner nose/collet interface. The pinion only serves to tighten the thread but does not effect TIR. The collet closer is handy if you are doing a lot of repeat work changing collets, otherwise not much faster than the other options. Atlas is a very expensive chuck, nice but would rather spend the money elsewhere. The collet closure would need to be modified if you add a spider, and the hassle of removing it when you are switching out to other chucks was one reason why I did not go that route.

I did... here is the link to my thread/post on that... But no bolt on solution available for my lathe... It was after looking into that option that I decided to go with a 5C chuck setup instead...

Yeah I missed that or at least don't remember it, I do recall the thread with the VW derail. ;)

I would have thought it would be easier to find the bits on a large, fairly current lathe.

The Atlas type is nice to use but expensive and a set tru feature is important enough that I bought the Bison. The downside is that it takes a million turns of the key. I made a key for my electric drill and keep it on the lathe when using collets. I do the final tightening by hand but the drill does most of the work until then. I would not buy a collet chuck with a key unles it had a set tru type adjustment. Dave
I like this idea... I will have air next to the lathe... I could use a butterfly air wrench... and avoid the additional cost of going with something like the Atlas

Butterfly Impact Wrench.jpeg

I have had a number of 5C chucks, current is the Bison. I use a speed handle which speeds up collet changes. Performance accuracy wise I do not feel there would be any difference between all the choices. I know people that have the PM 5C set-true style chuck and measured the TIR/variance and it was very small at the inner nose/collet interface. The pinion only serves to tighten the thread but does not effect TIR. The collet closer is handy if you are doing a lot of repeat work changing collets, otherwise not much faster than the other options. Atlas is a very expensive chuck, nice but would rather spend the money elsewhere. The collet closure would need to be modified if you add a spider, and the hassle of removing it when you are switching out to other chucks was one reason why I did not go that route.
I saw this while searching the forum... Cool idea...

5C Handle.jpeg

I saw what you are also using in that thread...

5C Handle-2.jpeg

As I write this and continue to search and read the feedback... I think that I am coming back to grips with reality... for a newbie that is just playing... spending over 1.5K on the Atlas is not justified...

Leaving the Atlas out... my question then is, should I spend the additional $$ on the Bison??? Or should I stick with the original plan and order the PM. That thread where @Ischgl99 tore down his, got me a bit worried on spending 350.00 for the PM only to have to buy another/better one later... Maybe I am worrying for nothing.

With either option I will look at using one of those speed wrenches for installing and removing the collects... Air impact gun might be too drastic.

Back