Where To Buy Inserts?

OK Dan. But that looks to me like the decimal points separate the parameters and you indicated that ISO did not use decimal point notation?
R

Edit: Upon further review it seems that correct ANSI notation does not use decimals to separate the characters but uses 2 digit parameters without any separation. Apparently some manufacturers have place decimal points into the ANSI system to separate the characters. That was the main point of my confusion.
I need a beer.
Robert.

Last edited:
The decimal place does not mean anything, it is the individual letters and numbers in the sequence. Then use a chart which describes what the puzzle means. Please be careful on the sizing, the link for the eBay item is a 21.51 insert, which is smaller than a 32.51. The former would be a typical insert for a 1/2" holder/bar, the latter would be more common in a 5/8" or 3/4" holder/bar.

Yea, the ANSI standard is a pain, ISO is a lot easier.

This is the exact same insert.

ANSI : CCMT 21.51
ISO : CCMT 060204

And it gets worse, try and buy modern milling inserts and you will want to pull your hair out.

I really appreciate everyone's replies. I feel I have a good head start from all this thinking aloud. Actually, Bruce's example was a vary helpful exercise to figure out from the chart.
mksj- I realize the size difference. My boring bar is a 1/2" that takes a 0.25" IC insert so It should be a 21.51 or 21.52 insert. I have yet to buy the larger boring bar.
The last property I don't fully get is the through hole size. The letter seems to only specify the hole countersink not the diameter. Is this important or with the countersink head take care of this?
Robert

The letter seems to only specify the hole countersink not the diameter. Is this important or with the countersink head take care of this?

It's just specifying the shape, if the inserts are the right size, you will be fine.

I ordered some Mitsubishis off ebay. Hopefully they will fit!
R

This is how I understand the inserts for the hole. There are two mounting schemes: a tapered hole in the insert for a center screw OR a cylindrical hole in which case the insert sets on a pin and is held to the tool holder with a separate clamp. The ones with a tapered hole end in B, H, T and W. The cylindrical ones end in G, A, M, P, S and Z.

A CNMP insert has a cylindrical hole while a CNMT has a tapered hole. You may be able to use a CNMT on a CNMP tool holder (don't know, haven't tried), but you definitely can not use a CNMP on a CNMT holder. I've got some TNMG holders and TNMT holders and the inserts can not be used on the other style. The hole in the TNMG is too small for the TNMT screw; TNMT insert hole is too large for the pin on the TNMG so the insert is loose.

Yeah, you thought getting the size of the insert was head scratching, the dang hole in the middle is another piece of the puzzle! Go to Shars web site and look at their 2015/16 catalog pages 62 - 88. They have charts with both the ANSI and ISO names on the same line. For example, TCMT-21.51-HF is the same as a TCMT110204HF. Oh, I forgot to mention the letters at the end of the insert (HF). That's stands for a Positive Relief Angle and is for Finishing cuts . . . yeah, even more puzzle pieces!

Bruce

p.s. There's a chart attached that may help though it does not have any of the ISO numbers on it.

Attachments

• Carbide insert chart.pdf
    184.8 KB · Views: 7
Oh, I forgot to mention the letters at the end of the insert (HF). That's stands for a Positive Relief Angle and is for Finishing cuts . . . yeah, even

The HF is the manufactures chip breaker designation, and can be just about anything they want. it's the same way with the grade/coating information.

Yea, the ANSI standard is a pain, ISO is a lot easier.

This is the exact same insert.

ANSI : CCMT 21.51
ISO : CCMT 060204

And it gets worse, try and buy modern milling inserts and you will want to pull your hair out.

The ANSI Standard came first!!! And where they came up with "21.51" I don't know. It was so much simpler when you had "TPG" "TNG, TNMA" "CNMG" And the 3-place number.....

Back