Where To Buy Inserts?

Guys- that is super helpful. Thanks.
So I pretty much need to be looking for something that starts and ends in T and maybe a greater clearance angle for the boring bar. Since NASA cancelled their last order due to budget cuts I can safely ignore the 3rd letter.
I do not understand the decimal point notation? "The size of the insert would be most likely a 32.52 or slightly smaller nose point 32.51" Does that mean the .52 replaces the 1 in 321?
R

I do not understand the decimal point notation? "The size of the insert would be most likely a 32.52 or slightly smaller nose point 32.51" Does that mean the .52 replaces the 1 in 321?
R

look at the page i linked to, it explains it all.

Don't try and understand it, when you put a bunch of people in a room and tell them to come up with a standard rarely is it logical.

I think I got it now. Looks like ISO is the code that uses the decimal and ANSI does not? That was the confusing issue.
Sorry MKSJ I was being a smart a$$ using the name red dragon to refer to cheap Chinese tools. Yes the pocket is flat and the index is just held in with a screw. It does not seem like screw hole size is an issue, just whether it is countersunk?
Looks like these should work for my boring bar. Although they may be thicker than what I have on there.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/302164019073?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
R

Last edited:
I buy most of my inserts off eBay. Search for the particular style using both SAE and ISO codes (i.e. CNMP120404/08 and CNMP 431/2 are the same) and sort by lowest price. I've had good luck from sellers "zimi-hk", "rishet_tools", "rr0493", "ann201221" and "newworldproductsnewworldproducts". It usually takes about a month to get the inserts from overseas sellers. If I'm in a hurry, I'll click the "US Only" source in the eBay search. End up paying about double for the same thing from domestic resellers, but they need to make something for buying the stock and sitting on the inventory.

Bruce

Sorry, I am definitely not getting this even after studying the Carbide Depot chart. They don't specify which code is which. Just so we are clear, which is ISO - e.g. "CNMG432" or "CCMT32.51". Is the decimal intended to separate parameters or can the parameter contain a decimal? (It looks like the thickness parameter can have a decimal point in one system) I don't know the exact type of insert for my boring bar or I would just search for that. Also I would really like to not sound like an idiot about this!
And Bruce's example has no decimals at all? (But mentions SAE, is there a 3rd standard?)
Robert

Last edited:
Wait...are you saying that ANSI has decimal points within a parameter but ISO uses decimal points to separate parameters. That can't possibly be the case because that would create a really stupid and confusing situation where you might not even be able to tell which code you were looking at for some inserts!!!
Robert

I buy a lot of carbide inserts from ISI Direct

In the size table, ANSI is the first column, and ISO is columns 4 through 10. For size the ISO number is based on the shape of the insert. Since you have triangle inserts you want column 8.

In the thickness table, ANSI is column 1 and ISO is column 2.

Untitled.png

Wait...are you saying that ANSI has decimal points within a parameter but ISO uses decimal points to separate parameters. That can't possibly be the case because that would create a really stupid and confusing situation where you might not even be able to tell which code you were looking at for some inserts!!!
Robert

You got it!!!! ISO just couldn't leave well enough alone....

Back