Where do you usually buy your tools? - Amazon?

If you're in no hurry to get a pair of digital calipers, I've bought several pairs of calipers from these guys. Shane Measuring tools, yeah, they are Chinese, but what isn't today!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251529836356?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've had my go to pair for three years now and no issues what so ever. The smooth feel of their calipers remind me of some of the Brown & Sharpe calipers I've used over the years. I also have a couple of their inside groove calipers for snap ring grooves and O-Ring grooves, nice!

Ken

If I'm looking for quality I buy from a tool shop here in the industrial area of the city I live The guy who owns it is a mate and always looks after me, If he hasn't got it in stock he'll get it in for me.

On the other hand when quality is not that important I often buy from Banggood online, rarely from amazon Also we have here in downunder a fairly decent electronics parts supplier, Jaycar, that also does some tools. I have had a wholesale acct with them for about 30 years, so the price is right. I recently bought a new digital caliper from them, the one I bought 20 odd years ago has just started to be a bit unreliable. 20 years is not bad for a cheapy.

Get these. I have them and they are really nice. I made the mistake in measureing some magnets now they're magnetized, PITA. https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSO...8&qid=1495286927&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=igging
I have these also and the way they feel makes me think they're fake. The Igaging is smoother and this one tings when you tap it. The narrow measuring rod on the underside is the culprit. Although all checks say it's real. I regret buying it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IG46NL2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unfortunately these are faked a lot, and given the number of returns to Amazon, I would be surprised if some people substitute the counterfeits and return them to Amazon. Also Amazon is just a storefront for other online vendors, not too long ago I ordered some machine parts from Amazon and they ended up shipping from China arrives weeks later after the project needed to be done. The product pictures are often generic or substituted, and not what you will be getting. This is very common for the eBay China vendors selling Mitutoyo.

(1) The battery should read “SR44” and “Japan” on the battery itself (not just on the packaging), and there should be no battery already installed in the calipers.
(2) The calipers should come in a sealed plastic bag packed with a bit of Ferobrite anti-corrosion paper and a yellow tag on the locking knob telling how to install the battery and such.
(3) The display of these calipers should read, "0.0000" when zeroed out in the "inches" mode - counterfeits might read, "0.000" and might have a smaller 0/5 digit on the far right.
(4) The locking knob on the top should be the same shape and style as shown in the factory pictures, not as tall and a unknurled portion at the top. The fakes have a taller knob knurled from top to bottom
(5) The "ORIGIN" button should be recessed, also look at the difference in the plastic molding around the button.
(6) The batter covers are completely different, the original there is a straight mold line that continues across the cap, the fake the mold line swings down and around the bottom of the battery cap. The "ABSOLUTE" is printed on the original battery door, the fake it is on the body of the caliper.
(7) The serial number on the caliper needs to match the serial number listed on the calibration certificate.
(8) The calipers and packaging should not mention China - anywhere - especially not on the box/envelope/battery in which they were shipped.
(9) The fit and finish of the caliper, the copies have rough grind marks and often there will be a gap between the ID and OD jaws.
This is just a few things, there are numerous other differences, unfortunately many you need to have in your hands to tell.

Know what you are buying. I think getting an Absolute indicating caliper is worth the extra spend, the cheaper calipers that I use to use have had some measuring errors moving the slider back and forth, to the point I never trusted the reading, and would constantly re-zero and double check the readings. I have an Igaging Absolute 6" which I highly recommend, I have a real Mitutoyo 8" Absolute, and it is nice to work with and very accurate. I would suggest if you are going to pay the price for a "real" one, I would purchase it from a major tool vendor as opposed to save a few $ and be surprised.
Mitutoyo fakes big.jpg

Last edited:
I have a set of original Mitutoyo calipers as well as a fake set. The fake set I got are actually pretty nice and are just as accurate as the Mitutoyo's are. I have never had any issues with them at all but they definitely have a cheaper feel to them. I have checked them with different sizes of gauge blocks along with the original Mitutoyo's and both read exactly the same every time.
I bought the fakes, knowing what they were, to use in my reloading room and quite honestly would buy another set if I needed them. IIRC, I paid right around $30.00 CAD for them.

Mine passes except the gap between the jaws. I suspect you can see a gap in any brand when held up to a light, no?

I just went and got both sets and neither of them has a gap in the OD jaws. Both sets have a small gap in in the ID jaws.
Another thing I've noticed between the fake Mitutoyo's and originals is the fakes are a little longer.

Caliper.jpg

If you angle it in front of a light you will see light. Or maybe not. Here mine

1495297183869-317309671.jpg

dial calipers are not inherently accurate in the first place. some are better than others.
i save the money and buy inexpensive calipers or used ones form ebay for day to day use.
most of the (cheap) calipers i own, are within .002"- i'll live with that.
when the measurement needs to be more precise, i break out the high(er) quality micrometers.
some of the best tools and measuring devices i ever got were used.
there is a certain joy in buying a new anything though :)
I have a 6" dial caliper from SPI (Swiss Precision Instruments). It is one of the best I have had since the 1960s and is accurate for most work; as you say, when work needs to be better than a few thousandths, break out the vernier caliper or the micrometers. I also have a Starrett digital 6" caliper, but do not use it near as much as the dial. but it is handy for such as metric measurements and conversions and zero reset. I have used MSC for many years; they are the go to place. I have also used McMaster Carr for as many years for other hard to find items, although I think one pays a price for convenience.

Most every new Mitutoyo tool that I have bought during the last several years has had this QR looking code engraved on it, calipers, dial bore gauges and indicators.
All bought from MSC.

My only complaint about the newer Mits calipers is the plastic cap that holds the depth blade in is easily dislodged, in the past they were screwed on.

Back