Where do you usually buy your tools? - Amazon?

awaqa909

Registered
Registered
I've needed my own calipers for a while. I got the guts to ask one guy that recently got a new caliper and pointed me to a MSC magazine. I don't know if he went on the internet or phone call or what. The calipers I want are some Mitutoyo 6" dial calipers. Maybe a different color. I'm looking around on the internet MSC and Rex Supply are the ones I've heard of and Amazon. The tool is $3 cheaper but because I have prime I can get it in just a few days. They actually have a blue dial for less then $100, regularly $118~.

I'm worried about the calipers not being accurate or something being wrong with them. I've ordered from amazon before but never a tool, much less something for work. (Might be finally getting a tool box this weekend)

Thanks,
Awaqa909

Amazon is safer than buying them on ebay. There are many Mitutoyo counterfeits, google and you can get info on telling the difference between real and copy.

I got a 12" Mitutoyo caliper at a pawn shop but you have to know what to look for. They had a second one that was a copy, I showed the sales person the differences and he ended up taking my low offer as thanks.

Travers from time to time has good sales. If you can live without a wheel the Brown and Sharp dial calipers are very nice. Personally I use elcheapo china dial calipers for non critical work, occasionally I break out the B&S for more close tolerance work, but if I need to be within a thou or better get out the mics.

The purchasing department at the company that I work for likes to buy from McMaster Carr. I don't know how MC's prices compare to others, it may be that MC is just more convenient than others from a purchaser's standpoint. MC has calipers from Mitutoyo, Starrett, Brown & Sharpe and "economy" on their website. I don't think there is any danger of their stuff being counterfeit.

dial calipers are not inherently accurate in the first place. some are better than others.
i save the money and buy inexpensive calipers or used ones form ebay for day to day use.
most of the (cheap) calipers i own, are within .002"- i'll live with that.
when the measurement needs to be more precise, i break out the high(er) quality micrometers.
some of the best tools and measuring devices i ever got were used.
there is a certain joy in buying a new anything though :)

Not doing work for a space agency, my HF dial calipers work just fine. If you are just a hobby machinist they should work well for you.

I use my $10.00 HF digital calipers for everything but that needing .002 or better. They've never disappointed me, but I've been careful to make sure I'me getting a good reading.

Back