Where Can I Get Thread Grinding Wheels?

Reverse threading will still require a thread relief or just the opposite action as pulling out while disengaging the half-nuts. I can't see diving into a spinning part to a precise point while the tool is traversing as practical. If you can use a relief instead of a close pullout, then conventional direction cutting is probably going to get you better results. besides, practice is good.

I agree.....everyone who has done much manual threading has had their share of crashes. The idea is that they get fewer as you go. Don't be afraid, it's happened to all of us. It's how we learned.

...the tool crashed into the piece then broke so the tip embedded in your chest, meanwhile, the part got out of balance, causing the lathe to shake violently and tip over onto you, then when your wife heard your screams and came to help, just as she reaches you, the motor shorts 220V to the frame, killing both you and your wife. a week later, the dog is dead because it hasn't been fed.

...stay tuned for the down side of the story...

Fwiw..
I am interested in ultra-precision threads (submicron).
Unlike most hobby stuff, I have spent about 10 years and 2000+ hours at it, and my current industrial cnc refit lathe (getting re-fit now) is good for doing these.

As far as I understand, some standard grinding wheels of suitable type can be dressed to a thread form- via diamond dresser.
Such a wheel does not seem to wear fast, and the dressing can be done lots of times.
Its totally hobby-compatible. Afaik.

I think (no personal experience) thread grinding is easy, and even old toolpost grinders such as those from doall (iirc) were used for such.

Im very interested in whatever you find.

...stay tuned for the down side of the story...

Oh, it gets depressing after that. The steel happened to have a rare virus on it, which transferred/grew on the bodies, children found them, started a worldwide epidemic. It doesn't end well.

It always can be worse than you think.

You MIGHT be able to thread very close to a shoulder if you build a crank for your lathe's headstock and turn it manually. Here's what I made for my 9x20. There are lots of variations. Just be SURE to disconnect power before you install the crank. Be safe!
kHPIM3235.jpg kHPIM3236.jpg

Like this
I don't know what it's actually called. I've googled everything I can think of:
"thread grinding wheel" .. "disk" ..."plate"
"bevel grinding disk"
"60 degree grinding plate"
and just about anything else.

I can't find anything like that for sale. Any leads?

When working as a tool maker we often made threading tools for the production line. We would first turn the thread in annealed tool steel, then heat treat the item and set it back up in the lathe, set up a precision tool post grinder.

We used Norton wheels, white Al oxide, fairly fine and would shape the wheels with a diamond dressing tool, 55 or 60 deg as required. cover the lathe with plenty of cloths to protect it from grinding dust. Grind the thread, redressing the wheel before the final cut.

Afterwards we had to clean the lathe thoroughly and re lube it.

This process will work well for the hobby application, One grinding wheel will last a lifetime of hobby work, and it's not a very expensive wheel. Just make sure you cover your lathe well. You could even set up an extraction hood over the grinding area, and hook it up to your shop vac. will get most of the dust. It is what I would do if I ever had the need to grind a thread.

Back