When is this gonna END??

That's a fantastic score on all that tooling, @Mike_Mac! I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with "the girls" ;)

I'd love to be able to let tools sit "in the basket"... I'm only just getting to the stage where I can happily tackle a project knowing I'll not hey frustrated that I'm lacking this of that to get the job done and have to wait for it to arrive. Its a nice place to be.

I spend very nearly 100% of my discretionary income on tools, tuition and materials. I think it is great because it almost forces you to push forward. Spend $100 on a boring head and bars & ya gotta think that you will become adept at boring in the near future.

Have no need for a taper attachment? So what. Make a huge investment in yourself (which may very well call for a larger lathe which accommodates a taper attachment) and add one more skill to your skill set. Keep at this for years or decades, and you will look up one day and realize that you are a pretty good machinist.

There may never come a day when paying customers are bringing me drawings, but if that day comes I may well be in a position to make some good money using equipment that is all paid for. Even if I never earn a single dollar off of my toys, believe me I have had a very fun time playing with them.

Are there much more economical ways to have just as much fun? Certainly, but I will never pursue them because I am too busy doing this!

I get asked so often why I spend all this time & money when there is no plan in place to get a return on my investment. I try to explain that “the journey is the destination”, but almost all of them have no idea what I am talking about. I am talking about playing and having fun.

Last edited:
Grrrrr. Stop, I'm in no hurry. Stop. :geek:

Ok. Most likely a PM1030 lathe and PM25 mill. Again, I build balsa radio control airplanes religiously (approaching 40 years building). I do NOT need another hobby (I think). I just want to make small metal parts. What do I need to buy?

I just realized how I got into this hobby. :oops:
Have been flying models for 40+ years. Got into scale helicopters a few years ago, mostly 800 size stuff. Decided I needed a mini mill to make parts for them. Found other uses for the mill so had to upgrade to a PM833T. Bought a PM1022 lathe, which is way too small now. Am building a Beaufighter and need to make landing gear so had to get a TIG welder (Lincoln TIG 200). Just bought a surface grinder. Why, I don't know, but it is cool. This is in addition to all of the bits and bobs for all the other equipment.
This is in addition to my complete woodworking shop of 30+ years where I have built custom furniture.
Oh, and I decided that a 3D printer would be better for making scale parts for the helicopters so I went down that rabbit h...I mean path. You know. learning CAD, better printer, more and better filament...

What rabbit hole.
Did you say something, I can't hear youuuuuuu....

Have been flying models for 40+ years. Got into scale helicopters a few years ago, mostly 800 size stuff. Decided I needed a mini mill to make parts for them. Found other uses for the mill so had to upgrade to a PM833T. Bought a PM1022 lathe, which is way too small now. Am building a Beaufighter and need to make landing gear so had to get a TIG welder (Lincoln TIG 200). Just bought a surface grinder. Why, I don't know, but it is cool. This is in addition to all of the bits and bobs for all the other equipment.
This is in addition to my complete woodworking shop of 30+ years where I have built custom furniture.
Oh, and I decided that a 3D printer would be better for making scale parts for the helicopters so I went down that rabbit h...I mean path. You know. learning CAD, better printer, more and better filament...

What rabbit hole.

You would be a great neighbor.......

/me tosses a supply bag down the wabbit hole... :cool 2:

RC modeling is a deep enough hole in and of itself, then add machining equipment, and a welder, and now a 3D printer...

What rabbit hole.

/me tosses a supply bag down the wabbit hole... :cool 2:

RC modeling is a deep enough hole in and of itself, then add machining equipment, and a welder, and now a 3D printer...

I have dozens of airplanes, engines, servos, etc. More than I will ever use. Or that's the excuse I'm using getting into this hobby.......... :p

Back