When is this gonna END??

Ya'll are going to scare us beginners off.... I already have more model airplane engines, kits, servos than I will ever need so well aware of these 'rabbit holes'.
Au contraire! Don't be scared off. There are no rabbit holes here. Trust me. Step into my shop (said the spider to....) Which reminds me, if you have a lathe, you need a spider for it. Even if you don't have a lathe, you're going to get one and what better time to shop ahead?

Tom

Now you're making it worse. I bought a Unimat mini lathe for my small model airplane parts with full intention of buying a bigger lathe 'eventually'. You are saying I should start accumulating bigger lathe accessories before I buy it? :confused:

Now you're making it worse. I bought a Unimat mini lathe for my small model airplane parts with full intention of buying a bigger lathe 'eventually'. You are saying I should start accumulating bigger lathe accessories before I buy it? :confused:
Yes, for 2 reasons. First, when you do "eventually" get the bigger lathe, you'll be ready to roll. Second, as insurance against changing your mind about getting a bigger lathe, you should buy the bigger lathe accessories now. Then if you don't buy a bigger lathe later, that would be a colossal, possibly illegal, waste of large lathe accessories. And borderline unpatriotic. Do the right thing and buy the accessories. You'll thank me "eventually".

Tom

P.S. How much do we have to spend?

Yes, for 2 reasons. First, when you do "eventually" get the bigger lathe, you'll be ready to roll. Second, as insurance against changing your mind about getting a bigger lathe, you should buy the bigger lathe accessories now. Then if you don't buy a bigger lathe later, that would be a colossal, possibly illegal, waste of large lathe accessories. And borderline unpatriotic. Do the right thing and buy the accessories. You'll thank me "eventually".

Tom

P.S. How much do we have to spend?

Grrrrr. Stop, I'm in no hurry. Stop. :geek:

Ok. Most likely a PM1030 lathe and PM25 mill. Again, I build balsa radio control airplanes religiously (approaching 40 years building). I do NOT need another hobby (I think). I just want to make small metal parts. What do I need to buy?

FSS. Flat Surface Syndrome.
I believe I have addressed this particular affliction previously-

I have learned to deal with this, uh, "situation" in the past.
The issue presented by Mr. Montana-
Terminal stage is when you look at all the attachments and say to yourself, "If I had another mill, it sure would be easier to leave the dividing head, rotary table, vise, angle vise, attached to it so I didn't have to go through all this setup all the time."
is gonna be the next hurdle. I don't know if I have the strength left...

Grrrrr. Stop, I'm in no hurry. Stop. :geek:

Ok. Most likely a PM1030 lathe and PM25 mill. Again, I build balsa radio control airplanes religiously (approaching 40 years building). I do NOT need another hobby (I think). I just want to make small metal parts. What do I need to buy?

That was my plan too, I bought the Sherline lathe and mill to do model stuff and they did and still do work great for that.

It also turns out that they were gateway drugs... :faint:

It seems my problem must be I have too large a gate ! :drool:

Well yes, A friend of mine who is a fellow marine engineer, also owns a fishing boat personal use size, not commercial, but still a fine boat,

He also owns and operates, on a commercial basis, a very decent machine shop, which is down on the wharf where the fishing fleet of Port Lincoln tie up. It is here that he does some very fine work for the commercial boats in the fishing fleet.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos and his shop is about 400 m away, i haven't seen him for about 8 years, we used to work together, but now only catch up via emails etc.

Well yes, A friend of mine who is a fellow marine engineer, also owns a fishing boat personal use size, not commercial, but still a fine boat,

He also owns and operates, on a commercial basis, a very decent machine shop, which is down on the wharf where the fishing fleet of Port Lincoln tie up. It is here that he does some very fine work for the commercial boats in the fishing fleet.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos and his shop is about 400 m away, i haven't seen him for about 8 years, we used to work together, but now only catch up via emails etc.
Eh? Oh - OK, I got it now.
For me 400m is a little walk down the road. I think you meant 400k's, or maybe miles?
All the rest of my family live "downunder". Here, for some reason I cannot quite get, is also called "The Antipodes".
I think you meant somewhere near --> HERE

Easy to get curious nearby. A bit like Fort Lauderdale, you have these places where the driveway is on one side of the house, and the boat tie-up is on the other. --> Port Lincoln Marina.

My apologies - this topic is so "way off driftable".

Yes Pt Lincoln S. Aust. where the fishing fleet tie up, Your arrow is almost spot on. Perhaps I should have said 640 Km. but in deference to the majority of folk on here I used miles. When I was a kid It was 400 miles Having grown up on miles and converting to Km as an adult I'm now fairly ambidextrous

"The Antipodes" funny we usually only get that term from the British And it is rather more accurate for NZ than Australia, then we call you guys POMS and that is not really very accurate either.

Back