When is this gonna END??

Or that this forum is full of enablers. They are just like the pusher hanging around the school yard I always heard about when I was a kid.
What are you implying? Be careful of what you are saying.........and are part of.............soooooon.:devil:

Y
I don't have a problem! You all have the problem. Look, I need all this stuff. It's not like I've bought tools I've never once used or anything. It's not like I have to crab walk through parts of my shop to get to a far corner. It's not like I'm forgoing social interaction to spend more time with the equipment.

Wait... I think I need a meeting.

"Bridget" :) Love that!
You are at one now

Now you're making it worse. I bought a Unimat mini lathe for my small model airplane parts with full intention of buying a bigger lathe 'eventually'. You are saying I should start accumulating bigger lathe accessories before I buy it? :confused:
You are spot on

Well yes, A friend of mine who is a fellow marine engineer, also owns a fishing boat personal use size, not commercial, but still a fine boat,

He also owns and operates, on a commercial basis, a very decent machine shop, which is down on the wharf where the fishing fleet of Port Lincoln tie up. It is here that he does some very fine work for the commercial boats in the fishing fleet.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos and his shop is about 400 m away, i haven't seen him for about 8 years, we used to work together, but now only catch up via emails etc.
Sounds like you need to make a road trip. Make sure you have plenty of batteries or charging capability for photos.
Don't forget views of the water from the shop. :grin:

Damn that sounds so fine - a machine shop on a wharf with paying customers...

Salt water atmosphere, great location, sucks for keeping rust away.

"Bridget" I also love that! :D

Just joined this forum and have also recently bought a 'Bridget' and 'Sally'. My love affair is just starting! Being ill since around Christmas time, with very poor breathing, has been a big problem. Not being capable of doing much work in my hobby workshop, I've spent far too much time on the internet, bidding on things that I think are a bargain! Bidding is no problem, the problem comes when you win!

To cut a long story short. I looked at Jones and Shipman surface grinder that had all the 'bells and whistles' with it, including a dust extract and the grinding wheel balancing gear: I decided to bid on it and to my surprise I won the auction. I contacted the seller and asked them if they knew a company near them that could move the machine for me, I also found out they were a large company that was 'downsizing' and moving to smaller premises. They suggested I contacted the machinery moving company that they were using. This company quoted half the price of another company I got a price from.

I thought I might as well have a look to see what else they were selling, as it would cost more or less the same price to transport one or two machines, that's when I saw Bridget! Amongst the photos of the Bridgeport was one showing the rotary table that went with the mill. Around the edges of this photo were a vise, and large angle plate. (see the numbers and arrows on the photo below)

Bridgestone tools from Ketech b.jpg

I enquired if these would be with the Bridgeport. The guy said "Anything not shown in the photos was going for scrap". I replied - saying that I hated seeing good stuff go for scrap adding, that if I won the Bridgeport, could I have some of tooling that would be useful with the Bridgeport, he agreed.

Anyway I won the Bridgeport and transferred the money for the Bridgeport and surface grinder.

What arrived with the machines was 3-pallets of tooling. Oh boy am I a happy bunny!

2640.jpg

I then had the problem of making room for the machines and needed to sell my Archdale milling machine and Eagle surface grinder. They both sold quickly and easily, as luck would have it, the guy who bought the Archdale milling machine lived 20 miles away from the machinery transport company. So he got a good delivery price, as the transport company took the Archdale back with them, when they delivered Bridget and Sally to me.

2628.jpg

I'm the one on the left, leaning on the gate, 'puffing and panting' watching them unloading! I look forward to getting a lot more 'intimate' with Bridget and Sally when my breathing improves a bit! ;)

My solution is to overwhelm myself with so many projects I don't have the time so spend money on new equipment. At this point I only spend money on tooling/machines/etc when I need it to complete a project. Otherwise, all the "nice to haves" sit in my amazon shopping cart.

Back