What the heck? Questionable forging and machining video

It does appear that he just eyeballed the thread tool when setting it, so far as boring the sand core out, if the core was not coated with blacking, the sand could have easily fused to the steel as hot as it had to be poured, usually, one would provide a little draft (taper) to the pattern so that the bore could be molded in green sand.
John, I have zero experience in the foundry. This video is so bad in so many ways I decided to share it with the group.
You mentioned, boring the sand core out, isn’t the bulk of the clay/sand removed before the machinist receives the casting?
I’m use to seeing a rough casting but the sand has been cleaned off completely.
In this case, it’s as if the molten metal was absorbed into the sand before cooling???

I've seen several YouTube videos of that type. There is some genius in doing what they do with what they have. I often think some things would be easier on a table or bench instead of sitting on the dirt floor. Maybe a chair? Just a different culture and they do ok.

Not sure if I saw it here first or another site
I found this one kind of impressive , (Rotavator builds) looking at the finished products appearance.
Bearings near dirt, Welding current possibly through lathe head stock bearings?- and seating the bearing outer race beating on the inner race cough.

Last edited:
I've seen how people have to do what they can with what's available, first hand.
A long time ago (60's) our main port of call was Subic Bay, The Philippians. Olongapo was the little town adjacent. The main source of income was the Navy. Lots of bars with "hotels" on the 2nd floor. Room rates were posted "by the hour!" When the fleet was in port, the surrounding countryside provided lots of young girls. They had to be 16 to get a "health card" so they could "work" in the bars. The younger ones, less than 16 yo, were street walkers. Most of the bars had combos that played pop music and were actually pretty good. Lots of strippers that would do most anything of a few pesos. Some of the bars kept a few lizards as pest control. Some times they would hiss at you when you tried to chase them off a table or chair. A 3' lizard can be rather intimidating! One of the new bars has a hat check by the entrance. The sign said to check your weapons before entering.

There was an open air wood shop making monkey pod bowls and trays. Line shaft, home made saws, large burs on spindles used to carve. Laid out as an efficient hand to hand assembly line. There was a body shop that modified old jeeps (WW2) into Jeepneys. There were drug dealers, money changers, con men galore. My favorite place was the central market where I could buy all sorts of local produce. Fruit I had never seen before. There was a cock fight arena operating on weekends. There were a couple of Chicken surgeons out side sewing up someone's prize cock that had been damaged. BBQ chicken was always on the street cart vendors on week ends. Nothing goes to waste!

I took a weekend bus trip to Manila. Bus body was wooden including the seats. The pigs and other farm animals rode on the roof. The road was partly blocked by logs to keep the little traffic there was from driving over the rice that had been spread to dry. Neve saw a tractor but lots of water buffalo used as draft animals. Manila was surrounded by massive slums. Grid lock traffic on narrow streets. Little kids would come up to the bus selling cold bottled beer for a Peso (17¢).

Lots of interesting memories, except getting dysentery, not fun!

You guys are missing an important point. These videos represent our future. As the dollar collapses, parts will become exponentially more expensive. These people make those repairs because they cannot afford to buy spare parts that may or may not be available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have posted this video, from around 2017, before. Sorry for the less than quality video. This is my Brother-in-Law's shop in Saigon, or rather one of his shops, as he has 3 or 4. The pile of cast parts at the end are foot peg brackets. I've seen those, intakes, covers, cast of aluminum that he produces. Some items have major motorcycle mfg names cast in and are sent to other countries. Amazes me what's turned out there

Attachments

• BIL shop.mp4
    3.8 MB
It does appear that he just eyeballed the thread tool when setting it, so far as boring the sand core out, if the core was not coated with blacking, the sand could have easily fused to the steel as hot as it had to be poured, usually, one would provide a little draft (taper) to the pattern so that the bore could be molded in green sand.
Not only did he just eyeball it, the "Threading tool" looked closer to 90* than 60*.

John, I have zero experience in the foundry. This video is so bad in so many ways I decided to share it with the group.
You mentioned, boring the sand core out, isn’t the bulk of the clay/sand removed before the machinist receives the casting?
I’m use to seeing a rough casting but the sand has been cleaned off completely.
In this case, it’s as if the molten metal was absorbed into the sand before cooling???
What their using is nothing close to actual "Green sand" A normal foundry would use. You can tell by the lack of smoke and flames in many of these videos. More likely glass has formed in and on the surface of whatever "Metal" concoction was used.

Oh, it may have been actual greensand at some point, but it has been baked to death and had many generations of "Things" (grinding dust, welding slag, trash, spit, toenails) baked into it that is no longer behaves like you would want it to.

I don't believe Talc or lamp black would help with that .......Dirt.

I may have posted this video, from around 2017, before. Sorry for the less than quality video. This is my Brother-in-Law's shop in Saigon, or rather one of his shops, as he has 3 or 4. The pile of cast parts at the end are foot peg brackets. I've seen those, intakes, covers, cast of aluminum that he produces. Some items have major motorcycle mfg names cast in and are sent to other countries. Amazes me what's turned out there
That is a respectable looking operation.

Id still like to see some tables and maybe eye pro, but hell man, they have coolant!

And their using it.

Back