What the heck? Questionable forging and machining video

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I was blown away by this video,
Is that a dirt clod in the material being machined? Never mind the voids.
What an abrasive environment for machine tools.
Why do they use cheater bars to tighten all three chuck lugs?

Not everybody on Utube is smart. When I was younger you had to have credentials to make movies. What part is the bangle?

Some of the nuts I've made could have used that hammer on technique.

I watch quite a few of these 3rd world, machinist & metalworking videos, this one is very low example of quality. Sometimes though it's amazing to see what can be done with so little. And in open footwear!

I marvel that the Pakistanis in so many of these videos are hand feeding their machines rather than power feeding when (at least in this video) seem to have a quick change gearbox, and yes it is silliness to tighten all three chuck pinions, The hammer on the nut is not so far out, it is one way of flattening out burrs that might otherwise cause galling, maybe not the best way, but one way --- I have seen many videos, both 3rd world and domestic where folks do not use cutting fluids while doing machine work on steel, on this one, he does not use fluids until the finish threading, a good way to dull the tool.

I was blown away by this video,

Why, how do you get sand cores out of your cast steel nuts?

Is that a dirt clod in the material being machined? Never mind the voids.

I see a ton of sand (dirt probably) on the face, and it looks like something else, probably more formable and harder, being machined out of the center. It took a few trips before he hit metal...

What an abrasive environment for machine tools.

I cried a little....

Why do they use cheater bars to tighten all three chuck lugs?
Prolly because the jaws and their slots are well worn from the environment, so they're only gripping on one spot. So he's "printing" the jaws into the flats of the nut. Just speculating. Barring any logical reason, it does seem to be unnecessarily tight.

Did you catch him putting that nut on the shaft that it's apparently going to live on? Threads on one way, not the other... Whatcha wanna bet that lathe is cutting tapered threads.
He's also hammer forming the "finish" on the threads, tapping on the side like that. Getting all the peaks and valleys to coexist peacefully, versus railing it on with a wrench, which I'm not sure if those would have made it, or hung up part way in...

Did you catch the weld in (what I'm guessing is) a bearing area on that shaft, between the nut in question, and the other threaded end which presumably gets another nut? Looks questionable.

I've done some sketchy things when the consequences are low and I just don't give a (darn), that I wasn't really proud of later on. Some of those butchers have lived long, healthy, happy lives. I dunno..... But I can assure you that you won't find me cutting mud and dirt off of metal with ANY precision tool.

The 3rd world videos show how a lack of technology doesn't stop some pretty amazing adaptations to get it done. Old equipment thrown away in other places used to repair and maintain equipment destined for the scrap yard. Lots of labor used in place of mechanization. Sometimes the waste of labor surprises me. Like when they throw parts in the dirt and then pick them up and carry them to the next operation. They could save time & $ by using a cart or better yet relocating the next operation. But they manage to get it done.

Terrible in every way. Wonder if the jaws are bell mouthed? Cutter isn’t even close to center. Going to slow for home brew carbide bar. Would almost guarantee he didn’t square/align his cutter to the axis. Threads looked terrible!

Back