What the heck? Questionable forging and machining video

The 3rd world videos show how a lack of technology doesn't stop some pretty amazing adaptations to get it done. Old equipment thrown away in other places used to repair and maintain equipment destined for the scrap yard. Lots of labor used in place of mechanization. Sometimes the waste of labor surprises me. Like when they throw parts in the dirt and then pick them up and carry them to the next operation. They could save time & $ by using a cart or better yet relocating the next operation. But they manage to get it done.

This^... This is real.

Look at some of the various mechanized things that get restored (or "restored", depending where you run into it), that were built in the 1800's and early 1900's. They were built with similar precision to this video, and easily managed to produce results that were quite positive when compared to the alternative. For all we know this guy is building donkey cart axles where speed, heat, and general precision is just not all that critical.

But I still think they could have rounded up a wire brush or something. Even a hammer and chisel. That can't be more expensive than the tooling costs of cutting dirt.

Not everybody on Utube is smart. When I was younger you had to have credentials to make movies. What part is the bangle?
Its the main part of the six balloon knot.

No way his threads are worth a tinkers damn.

I came to the conclusion a while back that most of these videos are for clicks and monetary gain vs making a good working product.

Making a battery by hand out of new plates in old cases, sure.

Welding an engine block heated over a dung fire and torch brazing a section back to a workable condition, yeah, OK, plausible.

Welding a truck axle aligned on a lathe using a wire to check runout and having it last under the conditions they put those trucks through?

NO, just a hard NO. I aint buying it.

Same with the broken axle housings welded up with the wrong rod and full of inclusions.

Then again there's a culture of blatant fraud in these countries so I don't doubt they would try to pass it off as a usable item.

Last edited:
I love all the Indian & Pakistani machine shop videos on YouTube. Great entertainment value. Those guys piece together crankshafts that sheared in two, and fix engine blocks with holes blown through the side. To fix the block, they built a hearth right on the sidewalk to preheat the block for welding. They stuffed chunks of charcoal inside the block, piled bricks and sand all around, poured gasoline on the thing, then lit it on fire. After preheating, some 75-year-old man came out and welded up the holes using a gas cutting torch. Got er done!

It does appear that he just eyeballed the thread tool when setting it, so far as boring the sand core out, if the core was not coated with blacking, the sand could have easily fused to the steel as hot as it had to be poured, usually, one would provide a little draft (taper) to the pattern so that the bore could be molded in green sand.

The 3rd world videos show how a lack of technology doesn't stop some pretty amazing adaptations to get it done. Old equipment thrown away in other places used to repair and maintain equipment destined for the scrap yard. Lots of labor used in place of mechanization. Sometimes the waste of labor surprises me. Like when they throw parts in the dirt and then pick them up and carry them to the next operation. They could save time & $ by using a cart or better yet relocating the next operation. But they manage to get it done.
Or a work bench, or a gravel work area? At least clean gravel, hosed down a couple times a day would reduce much of the grit.
Mounds of stringy chip piles are a trip, safety hazard to say the least.

I watch quite a few of these 3rd world, machinist & metalworking videos, this one is very low example of quality. Sometimes though it's amazing to see what can be done with so little. And in open footwear!
No question. Some of these guys do amazing work with what they have to work with. This fellow may be an exception?

Terrible in every way. Wonder if the jaws are bell mouthed? Cutter isn’t even close to center. Going to slow for home brew carbide bar. Would almost guarantee he didn’t square/align his cutter to the axis. Threads looked terrible!
I didn't pick up on these observations, my mouth was open the entire time watching the other rather extraordinary methods.

Back