What Shaper is this one?

Do you have the gear hangers on the door like the one on tonylathesUK site?

View attachment 316648
No I don't have the hangers inside the door. I am thinking that the shaper I have is actually a model prior to the one in the photo. The gear box and oil pump seem to be identical incuding the small chart inside the gearbox showing which gears to use together. The gears came in a small box with slots for each gear. Now that box may have been made by a previous owner. The other thing is that on the other side of the machine is cast in what looks like the letters and numbers pTi22. So I am thinking that my shaper is actually a 22cm stroke machine. The scale that was fitted to the machine I believe is the wrong scale and has been fitted by someone not that long ago. Mal

Attachments

• MAL_0613.jpg
    MAL_0613.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 167
  • MAL_0615.jpg
    MAL_0615.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 161
Probably missed it but what is the max stroke length?

If I am not missing something, which I very well maybe, the longest stroke I can get is 75mm.
While I cant see any obvious way of changing this number, I know very little so, maybe I just don't understand.
How is the length of stroke usually changed?

Mal

If I am not missing something, which I very well maybe, the longest stroke I can get is 75mm.
While I cant see any obvious way of changing this number, I know very little so, maybe I just don't understand.
How is the length of stroke usually changed?

Mal
according to your link it should have a stroke over 10". typically there is an adjustable arm to move the crank pin location from the center to the outer edge of the bull gear. if it was in the center the stroke would be zero...

If it is anything like my Peerless, stroke length will be the knurled collar and shaft just below the yellow label in the photo. I grip the knurled ring with one hand and turn the shaft with a crank handle. When they loosen off each other, I hold the ring and turn the crank either clockwise or counterclockwise to set the stroke length. I test length by running the ram by hand though a stroke or two and when it’s where I want it for length I re-snug the knurled ring to lock the setting. Whenever I adjust stroke I always free the fore - aft clamp on the top of the ram first, but I don’t know that that is mandatory. I just always do it and it’s usually the next thing I want to adjust anyway.

0A6F9A66-5F24-4EFE-84D8-932CAA68C64A.png

C42303C0-D564-41FD-A5AE-E4B9CEAAD55D.jpeg

Too bad he doesn't show how to make any adjustments.
He knows though... :)

If it is anything like my Peerless, stroke length will be the knurled collar and shaft just below the yellow label in the photo. I grip the knurled ring with one hand and turn the shaft with a crank handle. When they loosen off each other, I hold the ring and turn the crank either clockwise or counterclockwise to set the stroke length. I test length by running the ram by hand though a stroke or two and when it’s where I want it for length I re-snug the knurled ring to lock the setting. Whenever I adjust stroke I always free the fore - aft clamp on the top of the ram first, but I don’t know that that is mandatory. I just always do it and it’s usually the next thing I want to adjust anyway.

View attachment 317510
View attachment 317511

Well there you go. I am the first to admit this is a totally new experience for me. Thank you so much for the heads up on how to adjust the stroke length.
I have explored the fore-aft clamp and found that all that does is move the start finish points for the stroke.
I will certainly explore the stroke length now you have pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks

Mal

Too bad he doesn't show how to make any adjustments.
He knows though... :)

Well he has a extremely tidy shaper. My old fella is a bit more used. Also I would think mine is a much earlier version.
None the less the video is interesting and there are lots of common elements. Interesting that he didn't show the change gears in the bottom cupboard. And as you say he didnt show how to change the stroke length etc.

Thank you for sharing the video. Very interesting.

Mal

according to your link it should have a stroke over 10". typically there is an adjustable arm to move the crank pin location from the center to the outer edge of the bull gear. if it was in the center the stroke would be zero...

Now that I know how to adjust the stroke, you are 100% right. Max stroke seems to be about 26.5cm - but I haven't actually run that so it could be a bit less. Wow I am learning something new every day.

Thanks. Mal

Back