What Shaper is this one?

I stand corrected, that isn't a universal table, but being able to tilt it would still be very handy.

Mal, when adjusting the stroke on my Atlas, it is possible to set it such that the tool head will retract so far as to strike the main casting if it's tilted to one side or the other. Obviously that isn't a good thing. On the Atlas you can manually pull the machine through a stroke to check clearances. It looks as though you might have to use the clutch on your machine. When setting up for a cut just be sure all moving parts are clear of obstructions. There's a lot going on when a shaper is doing it's thing. It's easy to not notice an interference until you hear it! That said, I think a shaper is the most fun machine to have in a shop.

I would probably call it a "semi universal" table, but given that I don't think there was an official name for that type of table I think swivel table would be fine, too. You don't see a lot of shapers with a table like that, they either seem to be fixed or full universal, probably why no one remembers what they were called back in the day.

I stand corrected, that isn't a universal table, but being able to tilt it would still be very handy.

Mal, when adjusting the stroke on my Atlas, it is possible to set it such that the tool head will retract so far as to strike the main casting if it's tilted to one side or the other. Obviously that isn't a good thing. On the Atlas you can manually pull the machine through a stroke to check clearances. It looks as though you might have to use the clutch on your machine. When setting up for a cut just be sure all moving parts are clear of obstructions. There's a lot going on when a shaper is doing it's thing. It's easy to not notice an interference until you hear it! That said, I think a shaper is the most fun machine to have in a shop.

I am all ears when it comes to learning about the new/old shaper. I am certainly aprehensive about plugging it in and randomly hitting switches. That is not going to happen. The first step is to clean, learn and think....... then think again and then we will see.

Mal

I would probably call it a "semi universal" table, but given that I don't think there was an official name for that type of table I think swivel table would be fine, too. You don't see a lot of shapers with a table like that, they either seem to be fixed or full universal, probably why no one remembers what they were called back in the day.

I pulled the term swivel out of a handbook on machining. Is it the accepted term or just the author's term? I don't know.
Guess it doesn't matter. It doesnt tilt in two directions at one time like a universal, so I guess I will see how swivel holds up as a term over time.

Mal

Is that an oil pump below the gearing in post #35?
If so, there must be a sump somewhere.

I am not very observant..... you are pretty well right.... I havn't opened it up yet but oil line in, oil line out...... seems to be the right observation.

On the other side of the machine is an oil sight glass and an oil drain plug. I have now drained the oil, which all in all does not look that bad.
So that is another plus in my mind. But maybe all shapers have the same equipment and this is just par for the course.

Thank you for spotting the feature.

Regards Mal
2L2A9369.jpg
MAL_0470.jpg

Discovery is fun.
This machine is just plain neat.

Discovery is fun.
This machine is just plain neat.
Dan

I am finding out stuff by inference.
I no longer believe the machine has done minimal work.
As I am cleaning it up I am seeing quite a lot of surface damage to the table and some other parts. I now suspect the machine was decommissioned from maybe the Australian Navy and the gears and some other tooling pieces were dipped in wax prior to going to auction.
So I think it was/is a quality machine but will require careful inspection to determine current levels of accuracy.

So great machine but it still has more secrets to divulge.

Mal

Dan

I am finding out stuff by inference.
I no longer believe the machine has done minimal work.
As I am cleaning it up I am seeing quite a lot of surface damage to the table and some other parts. I now suspect the machine was decommissioned from maybe the Australian Navy and the gears and some other tooling pieces were dipped in wax prior to going to auction.
So I think it was/is a quality machine but will require careful inspection to determine current levels of accuracy.

So great machine but it still has more secrets to divulge.

Mal
Just went back over the pictures.
I wonder if what you're seeing is from storage and getting dinged up there. It looks really clean to me.
The red wax on the gears looks aged.
The rest of the machine shows marks from what I think is storage and not from being used.
I'm not seeing any wear from operators, like the areas where hands are always grabbing something.

Back